Kelly Kettle

usefull pice of kit cheque it out

73s de g0hda

1 Like

In reply to G0HDA:

Looked fiddly, large and heavy to me. I will not be chequeing out on this occasion.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

No good for SOTA, but great for the back of the car or at base camp :slight_smile:

Dan

1 Like

In reply to MM6DGZ:

I wouldn’t want to use one in the back of my car…

1 Like

Is that because your car only has a front?

2 Likes

In reply to G0HDA:
Hi all
this is a lot smaller and lighter have a look

ebay item number 180731561167

1 Like

In reply to 2E0NHM:
What fuel does it use?
I have Vargo Decagon, alcohol stove, see http://ok9hag.citanka.cz/uploads/2011/04/ok_zl_007_1.jpeg or http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product387.asp - very light and usable, just not for too low temperatures - it was -7°C on my OK/KA-012 activation two weeks ago and I had to relight it several times and made just a lukewarm cup of water from the snow. Still better than the frozen bottle, hi.

73 Marek OK1HAG

In reply to OK1HAG:
looks like a solid fuel to me, disposable throw away when all used up. That’s why there so cheep to buy

Cheers Nigel 2E0NHM

1 Like

Ten years later, the Irish Kelly Kettle turns out to be useful in the courtyard to save a bit on the natural gas bills…

Wood sticks are plenty in the garden and the ashes return as fertiliser to the garden.

Tip: The stainless steel model is sturdier than the aluminium model.

Kelly Kettle

4 Likes

My original Sirram “Volcano” kettle, bought (by my dad) in 1950, used on dozens if not hundreds of camping trips by us and still in regular use and good as new. Not suitable for SOTA or sensitive dry areas nowadays but still outperforms my new contemporary lightweight twig stoves when it comes to heating water with minimal effort. Not sure I have any other outdoor gear items that are 72 years old…!

4 Likes

It uses a jelly with alcohol. Works well when sheltered from wind. I have fond memories of that thing, we were cooking soup, goulash and tea with that thing.
You can even do a fondue: open up a tin can with (heavily) processed cheese (usable life time at least 10 years …, we called it “tank cheese”), unwrap the cheese from its aluminum foil, put a bit of alcohol (wine/beer) in the tin can, put the cheese back, heat until some sort of fondue emerges.

I still have some (what they call in electronics NOS New Old Stock), never opened, still wrapped. These are the backup of the backup of the backup.

Update: you can refill them with the alcoholic jelly.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

1 Like

I have a similar type of Kelly kettle locally made here. Handy on long trips to the interior, for a quick cuppa. Stop at a suitable spot, fill up with water and grab a handful of leaves and sticks. Light and in a short while have boiling water for tea/coffee.

Saves heaps than buying drinks at service stations.

73 Wal VK2WP

2 Likes