Jug Handles

Phil, thanks. That makes sense. Send QRZ followed by my C/S.

I nearly managed a second 6m QSO today but as they responded they slowly faded away into oblivion never to be heard again. Both were with Italian operators.

1 Like

John, use the question mark following the QRZ. QRZ on its own means “You are being called by…”.

With the question mark and your callsign “QRZ? de M6GYU/P KN”, it means who is calling me?

Dave

2 Likes

That’s what happens with sporadic e John. Then the other ham 5 miles down the road then hears them 5&9 while they are null with you. Having said that, sometimes the same staitons can be in for hours. Enjoy it in June and July before it dissapears for another 9-10 months, although now we are getting towards the peak of the sunspot cycle there may be F2 on 6m anytime soon. Last night I worked C5C on 6m FT8 at 19:24z but that was multihop eS I believe.

73 Phil

2 Likes

Thank you Victor. I did learn that in 1962. You are correct of course. But times change and it seems to me that today the question mark is clear and concise.
In 1961 I wrote in my exam that you finished each of your transmissions with “over” as this was the official procedure. Except for the last transmission.

I haven’t said “over” for a long time.

As I signed the Official Secrets Act I can’t tell you what I have heard on the bands in regard to procedures.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Well you can tell but then you would have to kill them. You can tell me as I signed it in 1998.

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know a lot of the correct procedure for CW QSOs. I sort-of picked up my style of operating by trial and error. It basically works but I’m happy to take advice so I can improve.

Sometimes I’ve responded to the odd “?” that drops out of the aether. Other times someone has called with a full call just after the “?” and I’ve worked them and ensured I send my call and ref in the exchange.

I don’t recall responding to a “?” and getting a QSO out of it.

2 Likes

Ah no sorry Andy. It works on a need to know basis. I did work in the DoD for a while and know the Rules. I don’t see the authorising paperwork so I can’t talk. People were never shot for breaches. We just didn’t see them at their desk on Monday. Or any other day.

I try not to upset people unintentionally, so if you guys in the UK hear me sending ? and it offends you please ignore me and accept my apology.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

And me, I signed it in 1974 for Raynet. Is it still valid? :grinning:

IIRC you didn’t have to sign it to be bound by it and the signing was to remind you of your responsibilities under the act. The act has been amended several times to remove vague references and to tighten it up.

2 Likes

We followed the UK lead but some rules were more relaxed. Shortly after joining the DoD I was required to watch a film used by the UK security guys and used here as well. The villain was a radio amateur who was given new transceivers etc in exchange for info. People looked sideways at me after that and my manager even quizzed me about my equipment and who I spoke to.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

As an activator I would always respond to a “?” with a CQ call. The question marker can take his/her chance with everyone else. Often they can’t hear the activator anyway, so either call at the wrong time or don’t call at all or get beaten to the QSO by the other stronger station that may have been listening for you without calling.

73 Phil

6 Likes

Now if they were offering a new lawnmower, I might be tempted. Nobody seems to have my preferred choice in stock and my old one has reached the stage where the motor is about to part company with the wheels. Plastic deck for me next time.

Now QRS PSE QRZ? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I often activate summits where I cannot spot myself.
I create an alert for 40/30/20m. When on the summit, I call a long CQ and start eating my sandwich. When I hear the first “jug handle” I know RBNHole spotted me. Take a last bite and off to the races.

5 Likes

I feel your pain…

2 Likes

That Honda engine will still be running 500 years from now!

My last petrol mower was a (downmarket) Briggs and Stratton, not in the same league.

Yeah, the baby Honda has a great engine, still running sweet after 15 years of hard work and questionable maintenance. A shame the parts to restore it were nearly half the cost of the new one. The new one is a mulching beast, though.

Looking at your picture makes me realise that my mower still has a few cuts left in it John :joy:.

It’s annoying because the engine is still running sweetly. Anyway, apologies to Phil, we seem to have gone slightly off topic (whether that was radio or jug handles!).

edit: ouch! just seen the price of that new Honda!

I keep threatening the XYL with astroturf, she threatens me with a walking stick!

1 Like

Honda engine with an aluminium deck from experience is the best way to go… What an amazing off topic thread!

Heard another jug handle this morning on a spotted but quiet SOTA freq, sent the jug handler a QRZ de G4OBK K and nothing came back as usual…

73 Phil

1 Like