Jordan M3TMX Mountain Goat

Jordan @M3TMX achieved Mountain Goat today when activating 4 SOTA summits in the Brecon Beacons in South Wales. These SOTA summits were Pen y Fan GW/SW-001, Fan Fawr GW/SW-005, Fan Gyhirych GW/SW-006 and Fan Nedd GW/SW-007. Not sure which of these summits he achieved Mountain Goat on, but whatever summit it was I am pleased that Jordan has now achieved Mountain Goat. Jordan has been activating SOTA summits since he was young lad. Back in 2009 when I was only 16 years of age and Jordan was only 14 years of age, he joined me, my dad Tom @M1EYP and my brother Liam of joint SOTA activations of 2 SOTA summits in the Lake District which were Baystones G/LD-039 (now no longer a SOTA summit) and Loughrigg Fell G/LD-047 (see photos below). It was a pleasure doing these joint SOTA activations with Jordan. Our next joint SOTA activation with Jordan was on mine and my dad’s local SOTA summit The Cloud G/SP-015 2 years ago (see photo below) and again was a pleasure to meet Jordan once again for a joint SOTA activation. Earlier that day Jordan activated Kinder Scout G/SP-001, Shining Tor G/SP-004 and Gun G/SP-013. My dad activated Moel-y-Gamelin GW/NW-042 and Cyrn-y-Brain GW/NW-043 earlier that day also. The next 2 times we met Jordan was at Mr Bun The Baker in Church Stretton, Shropshire (see photos below) after doing our SOTA activations for Gaulfest. The first time being 28th December 2018 where me and my dad activated Pegwn Mawr GW/MW-006 and Beacon Hill GW/MW-009 and Jordan activated The Wrekin G/WB-010. The 2nd time and the last time of meeting Jordan was on the 30th December 2019 which also happened to be Jordan’s 25th Birthday which I gave him a card for. Earlier that day me and my dad activated Plynlimon GW/MW-001 and Jordan activated Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012 and Rhialgwm GW/NW-046. At these Gaulfest meet ups me, my dad and Jordan enjoyed talking with each other about our SOTA activations earlier that day. I am sure you’ll all join me in congratulating Jordan on achieving Mountain Goat today and I am sure his mum Amanda 2E0MND (@M3MND) and his dad Ian @G7EGQ will be very proud of Jordan achieving Mountain Goat today also.

Jimmy M0HGY

19 Likes

Congratulations on the MG Jordan.

2 Likes

Well done, Jordan. Not good hills for me to make contacts but I’m glad we managed one today. Hope to catch you again before too long and maybe meet again between summits.
Rod

2 Likes

Congratulations Jordan.

It was a pleasant surprise to catch you on Fan Nedd today when I was /p on a mountain behind my home waiting for the Red Arrows. You didn’t even hint as to your MG :grinning:. Great to get you in my log and thanks for all the chaser and s2s points along your journey.

PS…Red Arrows never showed as the WX forced them to cancel their flight from North Wales to Cardiff :frowning:

73 and looking forward to more contacts in the future. Welcome to the herd :+1:

Allan

2 Likes

Congratulations Jordan.

Karen 2E0XYL

2 Likes

CONGRATS, Jordan!
And BAAA!

2 Likes

Many congrats Jordan on springing over the 1000 barrier and starting on the next 1000. It makes me tired to even read what summits you are going to do in the day let alone thinking of all that uphill! I look forward to many more 70cm s2s - if you will just sit down for a bit and wait for me to reach my top!! Have fun!
73 Viki M6BWA

2 Likes

Congratulations Jordan. It was good to meet you along the way!

2 Likes

Congratulations Jordan!
I hope tu contact you in the next activations!

2 Likes

Well done Jordan. Thanks for the contacts along the way.
73 John

2 Likes

Congrats Jordan! Looking forward to many more S2S down the road.

73 Mike

2 Likes

Well done Jordan!

You were my eleventh contact as a chaser when I discovered SOTA as M6JDR back in 2010, and our unexpected joint activation of GW/MW-013 Corndon Hill in January 2020 was one of my most enjoyable SOTA days out. You were already close to Mountain Goat when we met, and I am delighted to see you finally reach your goal.

What next I wonder?

73, John M0VCM

2 Likes

Well done Jordan great achievement

Paul
M0PLA

2 Likes

Congratulations Jordan, those four summits are an impressive way to arrive at goat-hood, welcome to the herd! Good to meet you in Mr Bun’s in December.
Adrian

2 Likes

Well done Jordan. Looking forward to more S2S soon!

2 Likes

Congratulations Jordan.

73’s Geoff GM4WHA

1 Like

Thanks for all the kind words! It’s incredible to think about how many people I’ve contacted over the years and the friends I’ve met as a result of SOTA, so I thought it might be nice to do a little summary/report:

As I wrote on my Facebook page, when you know something special will happen, you want everything to go perfectly, but in typical fashion, the views were non-existent as I took to the Brecon Big Four for the 3rd year running.

At the start of Pen y Fan GW/SW-001

The summit of Pen y Fan GW/SW-001

I may not have been able to see much, but playing radio on these summits was by far the most fun I’ve had for a long time, working S2S into G, GW, GM, EA1, HB, OE, DM, LA, SV and TK.

My SOTA journey started in 2007 aged just 12 when I activated The Cloud (G/SP-015) and Gun (G/SP-013) on a family trip visiting relatives. 13 and a half years later, on Fan Fawr (GW/SW-005) I finally ticked MG status off my bucket list.

All ready to activate GW/SW-005

Looking damp, but very happy as an MG!

Along the way, I’ve completed the SP, WB, CE (ish - I’ve been atop G/CE-005, but failed to get a contact. Thanks for the spot Jimmy :wink:) and TW regions in England, as well as over half of Wales, met numerous fellow activators (both planned and unplanned!) and finally made my way onto HF full time thanks to the team at SOTABeams. Most of my activations have been on 2m, as I’ve only recently started getting into 20m/40m SSB and 70cms (for S2S’s with Viki @M6BWA - I promise to slow down!). As a result, I also achieved 2m only MG status on the following summit, Fan Nedd (GW/SW-007).

On the H/H working S2S with James MW0JCQ/P and newly qualified Christina MW7CID/P on GW/SW-003

The weather forecast didn’t look promising, but I was lucky for it not to rain all day. It did threaten as I walked along the quarry road to Fan Gyhirych (GW/SW-006), but only for a brief period.

Still can’t see anything…

On the summit of Fan Gyhirych (GW/SW-006)

After the final activation, the weather gods looked down on me kindly and gave me one of my favourite views as I made my way back to the car.

Heading back towards Fan Nedd GW/SW-007

Walking along the fence line north of Fan Nedd, looking down into the Valley and the Devil’s Elbow

In total: 4 summits, 22km hiked, 1250m ascent, 94 QSO’s including 15 S2S’s, 5 hours of driving and 15 hours 20 minutes door-to-door, all for the purpose of outdoor exploration and SOTA.

What’s next? Well, as a Cumbrian, I’m determined to complete the LD region and am starting to put a plan in place in order to achieve this. I’m also looking to continue ticking off uniques across Wales and England, as well as a trip to GD land when the time is right! I’m even looking into getting my intermediate license, although I will admit to being very attached to my M3 callsign!

Again, I’m hugely grateful to all the chasers, as without them, us activators would have a very lonely time out on the hills. It’s brilliant hearing activators fill the bands with SOTA life too and I’m even happier when I can work them S2S! As we say though: SOTA is not a race, it’s a personal challenge and we’re all here to enjoy radio and have fun!

73s and speak on the airwaves,

Jordan

PS Jimmy @M0HGY, those pictures are a blast from the past!

9 Likes

Not quite as I can see that you haven’t activated Wendover Woods G/CE-005 as of yet.

Good luck with activated the rest of the G/LD SOTA summits and doing more uniques in England and Wales as well as the Isle of Man. I can’t see that you are only 3 summits away from completing the GW/SW region, these SOTA summits are Hirfynydd GW/SW-017, Mynydd Eppynt GW/SW-018 and Myarth GW/SW-035 so maybe activate those 3 SOTA summits to complete the GW/SW region. You will need to obtain permission to activate Myarth GW/SW-035 as that is on private land, but obtaining permission for this one should be no problem. The true summit of Mynydd Eppynt is on military grounds so it’s completely out of bounds, but luckily the activation zone the this one extends to outside of the military zone. Hirfynydd GW/SW-017 on the other hand is on access land all the way to the true summit which is marked by a trig point, but from what I remember it was a bit of a long walk for a 1 pointer.

Jimmy M0HGY

Well done Jordan, good to catch you yesterday. Amazing how similar the view from Fan Gyhirych is to the view I had from TW-001! :wink:

2 Likes

Well done Jordan. Great to work you yesterday. 73 John MW0XOT

1 Like