It's time for.... the 2024 10m Challenge. (Part 4)

Interesting how the MUFs for 10m radio paths vary this time of year. The opening between UK and central & southern EU is most of the day but between UK and US (east coast) starts about 1400-1430utc which is when I’ve done 3 of 4 10m activations so far in 2024.

Compare these MUF maps from today:

1315utc today - courtesy prop.kc2g.com
For my first 10m activation which was about 1245-1300utc, you can see why I didn’t get any N/A stations and ‘only’ got one to the Canary Islands.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-15 at 13.38.08_f508cf86
1330utc today - courtesy prop.kc2g.com

At 1430 the window is closing to Scandinavia as it opens to east coast and mid-west USA

1430utc today - courtesy prop.kc2g.com

And the window for UK (to anywhere) won’t be open for much longer. So timing of 10m activations is much more critical than later in the year.

8 Likes

Yes, thank you for mentioning this website Andy, I’ve been watching it over the last couple of days - very interesting…

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve recently make that URL the homepage on my PC browser. But it doesn’t auto-refresh, one has to do that manually (no hardship).

10m openings are much more often and predictable than 6m but it really pays to check the MUFs to the locations you hope to work rather than risk disappointment especially if you have gone activating.

3 Likes

I’ve been a KC2G. Com “addict” for a few years now. Like putting on my glasses in the morning, it’s one of the first things that gets my attention along with SpaceWeather.Com and SOTAwatch3.
Getting out of bed early enough to catch the sunrise is a challenge. Well worth it, though, as 10 may open right away with such high SFI. And I so enjoy the magic of knowing my 5 watts is radiating to Europe, and to Asia and Oceania in the afternoon.
Thank you, Chasers! 72, David N6AN

8 Likes

10 M challenges may be unexpected when you operate from public place like Temple Hill (W6/SC-369).
A lot of people asked “What are you doing?” One lady asked “Aliens?” Then rangers came and asked “Are you doing this for business or for leisure?” I asked him if he knows about HAM radio. He knew, but he still checked my setup and googled my callsign. When I received a strong phone signal from Louisiana, he was satisfied and left. Maybe Paul, W6PNG should show up more often on this summit to promote HAM radio and SOTA :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi David, Was great to work you summit to summit on Sunday evening UK to California, and on 5w is incredible. I was using 10w, but still very impressive both ways. I planned to be on the hill approaching sunset to get early morning in the US for this reason !

1 Like

Isn’t the answer always “I’m doing a 1st amendment protected activity” ? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I get lots of similar questions and enjoy some spending time explaining what I’m up to.

Usually engage them first as many are curious but too shy to ask.

I now have a group of locals that wave, say hi and how’s it going when I’m sighted!!

I asked someone on Saturday to take a snap (photo) and they responded “they have no snack” for me but did eventually take my photo.

7 Likes

Except this is California where the constitution is …. ???

Just joking……

2 Likes

It will get interesting in the late spring and summer, when paths sometimes get extended by interactions between F2 and Es propagation.

1 Like

@KD7WPJ

For what it’s worth, I always use “amateur radio” and never lead with the descriptor “ham radio”.

Maybe incorrect but I suspect the term “ham radio” isn’t widely recognized in SoCal.

Amateur suggests non professional to some but that assumes a certain level of literacy.

The “ranger” is a new addition to our local police force as the Temple Hills area has become a big destination possibly courtesy of Instagram.

My favorite wooden picnic table has been used as a fire pit, one wooden slat disappeared and back in early 2023 someone destroyed the post that holds the :fire: sign I use to strap my mast to.

Hopefully the ranger was cool about your activities despite doing a Google search.

Where exactly were you operating from?

4 Likes

9pm in EU and I’m still being heard on 10m ft8

2 Likes

That’s a surprise Paul, so late to be hitting northern EU on 10m FT8. Sorry I missed you - I wasn’t looking earlier. The band does sometimes go out completely after dark here to the west with propagation returning later. Maybe that’s what happened tonight.

73 Phil G4OBK

3 Likes

I know most of us most of the time are interested in Dx especially on bands like 10m but I’m also fascinated by how short short skips can be. If my 5W of WSPR can ‘work’ these local/regional stations at 1200utc, I wonder if CW contacts would be possible.
WSPRnet Map 1200utc today

Or is WSPR exploiting high-angle but weak radiation from my OCF dipole useless for non-weak-signal modes? Or, one might say, refreshing the parts that other beers, er modes, cannot reach.

3 Likes

Andy, You may or not have read in my report Curtains on Craiglich that “local” G and GM’s were hearing my 10m SSB transmissions, so that ties in with your findings.

Rumour has it that wspr is such a good weak signal mode that a piece of coax lying on the ground connected to a dummy load will put out a good enough signal.

I certainly had a 10m wspr transmission picked up in Antartica a couple of years back, and that was overnight.

4 Likes

I’ve just looked at your current spots on wsprnet and the received signal to noise ratios are very low for local stations so I think you would struggle to work them on CW or SSB.

3 Likes

I agree, having been worked and worked “local” G stations in the last few days on 10m which was a surprise for me at the time.

1 Like

I operated from the area near the brown wooden fence. I attached fishing pole to the wooden fence. It is a little further than bench, and it is more closer to antenna tower and structure. I even saw service man who arrived on car and checked something in the building structure near the antenna tower. This may be the reason that ranger asked me if Iam doing this for business or for leisure. I also often use “Amateur radio” term instead of “HAM radio”. However, some people know about HAM radio, but other people understand Amateur radio. 10 M challenge is easy this days, because 10 M propagation is good and it does not require a large antenna. Long distance contact can be done on 10 M bands. I already made contacts from SOTA in California with ZL1TM, JA1VVH, F4WBN, etc.

4 Likes

The weather’s been so cold in the UK recently that I decided – for my 4th 10m activation so far this year – just to go to my nearest SOTA summit G/LD-058, the smallest in England but only 10-minutes’ drive to the parking spot.

With a strong bitterly-cold wind I eschewed my usual spot facing the Irish Sea and went to the opposite side (leeward side) of the summit, left the 5m pole in the rucksack, slung the 40/20/10 EFHW over low branches of two trees and then ‘hid’ behind one sitting in my Helinox portable chair.

It’s a good job we’re having such good conditions on 10m in this part of the solar cycle because optimizing my comfort over antenna didn’t seem to matter much.

(C) Google Earth 2024, radio paths courtesy www.adif.uk

I got six 10m CW contacts (3 US and 3 EU) in 8 minutes. Once the chasers ‘dried up’ and no one answered my repeated CQs, with the wind chill factor starting to affect my keying, I was content to go QRT.

5 Likes

Thanks for the contact Colin - glad we could do it!

Randy, ND0C

1 Like