Is it just me?

Is the PDP 10 what DEC called a DEC-10? I worked with a DEC-20 at one stage. Used DSR (runoff) to format a number of largish documents. That and IBM’s similar product whose name escapes me, (SCRIPT?) were of course forerunners of other markup languages we later “discovered” courtesy of Mr Berners-Lee.

A DEC-20 was PDP-10 hardware running the later OS TOPS-20. If it ran TOPS-10 then it was a DEC-10 although later it was called DECSYSTEM 10.

The power of marketing… change the OS and rebrand the hardware :wink:

When I first joined Post Office Telecoms in the late 1960s, our mainframes were programmed in FORTRAN and COBOL. They kept on using these antiquated languages for years afterwards! PDP-11, DEC and VAX machines were commonplace.

The first computer I had at work, of my very own, was a Digital Microsystems HiNet running CP/M with 7-inch floppy disks and about half a dozen workstations (VDUs with green displays). Its RAM was measured in kilobytes … and not very many of them!

Sic transit gloria …

Wlat

My memory keyer has a whopping 1kB of RAM. Sufficient for several CQs and a couple of callsigns.

I well recall my friend Peter G3YCT talking to me about these weird languages.

All this talk of old systems will have me thinking about how to incorporate my Commodore C16 into my station… says he listening to a QSO on 40m using his Eddystone 840C. At least the shack is decidedly warmer for it! :wink:

Ah, memories! I built a lovely double conversion receiver with IFs at 1600 and 85 kHz but when I got my licence and got going on 70 cm it was the days of the geographical band plan and my Eddystone drive took over 50 turns of the knob to tune 28 - 30 MHz, far too slow, so I went back to my old Eddystone 840A, bought a couple of years before the 840C came out - though I think the only differences were the cabinet style and the “magic eye” indicator, my 840A just had a lamp! By the time I had a QQV06-40A PA the shack got quite hot in summer…

Brian

There was a group of languages called ALGOL as well. I think it was mostly used by banks for programming their early computer systems. It sounds more like some sort of medicine.

I still have my Texas Instruments TI99/4A computer, but alas I do not have an analogue television set to use as a monitor. :frowning:
In the early 1980s it was many years ahead of its time, with its 16-bit operating system and unlimited numbers of registers which the programmer could create in the RAM. I learned how to program it in TMS-990 Assembly Language and wrote a program to access and display the BT Prestel service at 75/1200 bps.

Wlat

Tee hee! I had one of those in my 2m AM/CW transmitter in 1969-70, in the days of “tuning low to high”. For the receiver, I used a nuvistor converter into an AR88LF at about 5 MHz.

Walt (G3NYY)

“FORTRAN and COBOL”

FORTRAN got man to the moon and COBOL made sure everybody got paid.

In the 1970s, most large universities in the UK had a PDP-11. It was possible to access the JANET network (legitimately or otherwise) via numerous dial-up telephone numbers on the PSTN. For a few years, there was a craze to dial into a PDP-11 late at night and play multi-user games on it!

Tsk …

Wlat

Crowther & Woods wrote the original dungeon game ‘ADVENT’ for the PDP-10 in FORTRAN in 1976. Spawned a whole industry by the time home computers were up and running.

Andy: It ran tops20. The naming is familiar.

Languages:

The Algol (meaning: algorithmic language) language was the language of choice for Burroughs mainframe computers. Their operating system was heavily influenced by Algol concepts. Including RPN.

Algol syntax was a bit like fortran but tidied up to enforce logical structure and syntax.

C and C++ (D) probably owe a lot to Algol.

In the language C, C++ means “add one to C”. Thereby the language that followed C should have been named D but was instead named C++.

Somehow I feel that the older language names or acronyms at least had a meaning. Single letters are so meaningless. If radios were named similarly I would tune the band on my I and activate using my Y.

73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH

Algol is the Demon Star!

Brian