Is it Hard for Chasers

Allen, you need to develop a standard “about to start chasing, check equipment” process that you do when you power everything on.

You switch on, plug in the antennas and you listen to a range of fixed signals such as standard times, beacons, broadcast stations. Stations that should be dependably constant. Everyday without fail and depending on the time of day/year you will need different stations. Note down at first how loud they are each day. After some time, you will know what can be heard.

Then you compare what you can hear against what you think you should be able to hear versus what you heard yesterday. Everyday you do this so you have calibrated your expectations. Then you will know that conditions are up or down. Or you antenna is broken. Or unplugged. And you can do this with nothing more than your ears. Of course, you check the match is OK before you let rip. But that is not always as revealing as just listening.

If you don’t, you’ll have no idea what is happening or that things are degrading.

2 Likes

Dunderheads don’t ask for advice. You know that you are still on the learning curve and you are asking questions, which is great. Come to think of it I am still somewhere on the curve and I’ve been a ham for umpty years, sensible people never get off the curve!

4 Likes

Hello

Over the years with varying solar propagation and seasonal also influences what you can hear let alone reach.

Take Sept time late afternoons are good for OK and OM Sotas and afternoons improve for SV’s. BUT more local sotas in Europe to UK become harder and 20m lengthens its propagation as in summer it shorterns prop on 20m.

40m is prone to bursts of Inter G at moment catching G and GW and GIs. but when the CF drops on 40m I get GM’s better again more autumn winter time and lesser in summer due to Es effects shorting the band during summer and in summer normal 500km becomes more 300 to 400km paths.

Tis a lot of pot luck what bands is providing us with the daily propagation as it varies day to day.

Bit like fishing you throw ya line in in hope catching something as lot of times its a stinking cold LOL.

EG :- Last week or so been seeing the TF Sotas on 20m not a sausage and low and behold worked it no problem today, who knows what Tomorrow brings.

Nothing like switching on the internet and its there day in day out.

Plus we are at well solar low at moment.

Keep tracking, listening and shouting if lucky enough to be heard, even if you think no going to happen. Check the Sota watch, tune in, if heard call.

Karl 2E0FEH

One more thought - noise. It seems that every device that has a plug manages to create nose which might not be a problem for strong signals - but may well take out the QRP ones. Any new noise? Combined with poor propogation ( I notice we are sunspot free again today ) and some rubbish weather (unless you are a paddler - but canoe-on-the-air might be one step too far… ) meaning that the more local activators aren’t (Cloud level here today 1200 ft in heavy rain and no NP activations spotted) . Good luck and keep trying! :Paul

To check receiver sensitivity and your hearing ability, monitor the audio:

1. With a dummy load connected to the RX antenna socket. ATT OFF, Preamp OFF.

2. With a dummy load connected to the RX antenna socket. ATT OFF, Preamp ON. The noise (hiss) should be slightly louder.

3. With the antenna connected to the RX antenna socket. ATT OFF, Preamp ON. The noise (hiss) should be significantly louder at the same RX setting.

73 Karel

MM0FMF simple answer using the dummy load above goes miles toward explaining the issue in very simple terms doesnt it? I like that.

If it’s not your own equipment then maybe some other reasons could be bad propagation, bad weather and less activity during these special times. Plus many activators use low power and maybe less-than-ideal setups for mobility purposes.

Hi Allen,
I am chasing with qrp 5W and a 3,3m long milwhip + 3 radials, that is hard chasing, especially on 40m band, I am mostly at the end of the activators log and from time to time the first.
In the morning is ok but after 12:00 whatever the band may be my chasing window is closed.
For me chasing SOTA / IOTA/ GMA / WWFF with qrp is the ultimate challenge.
Patrick ON4BCA

1 Like

Hi Patrick
Isn’t it strange how it works. Like yourself I prefer to use QRP of 5 or 10W I suppose that’s because I did so much as an M7 and we were only allowed to use a max of 10W but I managed to get all over the world.
Also like yourself, early morning the bands are nice and clear then here in the UK (Yorkshire) at exactly 09:00am the bands just went downhill. Anyways mate you stay safe and Best 73

Have you tried listening to the WSPR network to see if you are receiving as expected?

It would give an idea how well your antenna is receiving; most people beaconing are transmitting for hours at a time. Easy to compare to other people to see how sensitive your antenna is and you can see how a particular band changes over time.

Carolyn

2 Likes

Alan
You’ve had much better advice than I can give, but like you I am well aware that my 10 watts, coupled with a aerial below the level of my roof, bordered by a church on one side and a hill on the other isn’t going to cut the mustard when compared to other operators.

Propagation and time are also really important. Most of my QSOs with North America are during their morning when they are active. My best QSO was with Thailand - again, when I checked with their local time it was also their daytime/evening when people are awake generally. Looking at your log may well give you clues as to when bands are open and people are up and about.

A lot of the chasers have excellent antenna systems at home so they will be well heard by other chasers - and activators.

Like you I know that those chasers I hear calling when I’m chasing, may have better aerials in better locations and more watts so I’m maybe more likely to hear them the activator I can’t hear.
BTW, I put you in my log on 22/08/2020 whilst activating G/NP-010 - you were the last person I heard calling me on 14mhz at 1052utc. before I QSY’d. Patience is sometimes needed and generally I never leave a band until its all gone quiet.

David

Hi David
Hmm I’ve looked in my log for the 22/08/2020 and I must have missed you …Sorry …but if the points are there I’m not complaining so if you would be kind enough to give me details of the contact please so I can log it…ie.RST , QTR etc.
Thanks David you stay safe
Best 73

1 Like