iPhone messaging via satellite

A recent announcement is that iPhones are going to be able to send messages (SMS/iMessage) via satellite.

Requirements:

• iPhone 14 or later
  • iOS 18
  • U.S. and Canada only

Says its free for two years following activation of phone (a new one? or just updated?) Can’t see pricing afterwards.

I’m sure it’ll come to other countries in time…

See more here.

4 Likes

Hasn’t that been the case for a couple of years, but just for SOS messages?

Do we know what system they are using? Iridium short burst data service like inReach? Or one of Musk’s offerings (I mention the latter as ex-Vodafone in ZL has been promising a similar service and name dropping starlink)

Globalstar. But there are plenty of other people companies looking at direct to satellite systems.

Strange choice. With an inclination of 52 degrees they will pretty much always be in the southern sky for Europe and the northern sky for ZL/VK. Which is what makes Globalstar’s existing Spot solution near useless as a messaging service as they only work when you have clear view of the low-elevaion sky in that direction (unless you are lucky enough to time it for one being overhead).

Certainly not an emergency comms solution in higher latitudes.

It’s also probably a reason why Garmin changed their plans - pricing and features

From this guy.

3 Likes

In Norway, Garmin has increased prices significantly.
I have a monthly subscription ‘Recreation plan’ for NOK 275, - (to get real-time tracking). After 18 September 2024 this plan is no longer available. There is now a ‘Standard’ subscription which is the most affordable subscription you can have for real-time tracking and this now costs NOK 400, -(!)

Because at 60+ degrees north they know you’ve no choice but to go with them?!

1 Like