IOTA database search

Hello Friends,
A colleague wants to ask for an IOTA diploma. It has 10,000 records and only 79 identified as iota.
I used PA4R to fetch QRZ data, but it doesn’t bring IOTA.
Inhumane to search one by one, manually.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a program to import ADIF and locate IOTA?

Carlos
PY2VM

1 Like

Hi Carlos,

This would not be an easy task! It would seem that your colleague has occasionally had “chaser” contacts with some stations on IOTA island groups - possibly during IOTA contests? - these would be the 79 already identified as IOTA, but that he believes some other stations he has contacted might also have been located on IOTA island groups. Am I right so far?

Searching through QRZ data might reveal where a callsign/station/OM is located now (assuming the OM has updated their details), but not necessarily where they were located at the time of the contact/QSO. For some stations, there should be no problem in deciding that they were IOTA - prefixes like VK9, VK0, KH6, CE0, E51, etc. are easily identifiable AS IOTA, without knowing in some cases which particular island group they were on. But for others, this can be tricky or downright impossible without already knowing where the station had been located at the time of contact/QSO.

A good example of this would be that any one of several IOTA island groups could be activated by a station signing as GnXXX - they’re somewhere on English soil, but where exactly? They could be on the English mainland, in which case they can claim IOTA EU-005, but they may have been located on one of the outlying island groups EU-011, EU-109 or EU-120, either living there or just temporarily. In such cases, there is no one-to-one correspondence with the callsign - the same goes for a station signing as GMnXXX: there are 12 different island groups (I won’t list them all here) where that station might have been located at the time, all Scotland.

It doesn’t matter in which format the data are stored (ADIF, CSV) - the problem here is that the task is mostly unsolvable, apart from easily-identifiable callsign prefixes making it less difficult in a few cases, as noted above. Even the IOTA cluster dialog in the IOTA website has a similar problem, in trying to identify which entries appearing in cluster listings is, or might be, an IOTA station…

Good luck to your colleague!

Cheers, Rob
(developer of the IOTA mapping iotamaps - iota mapping project )

2 Likes

hello Rob,

It will really be difficult, as there is no historical database.
I’m already updating the Entities that are naturally islands. Furthermore, I am generating my IOTA base and I will cross-reference data in Excel, as I have forgotten the Access commands, having not used them for decades.
I will also research hystoric call for N1MM.

Thank you so much for your answer
Carlos

1 Like