iOS app "SOTA goat" by WW1X

Dear all

Has anyone reliable news about the maintenance/development/developer status of the iOS app “SOTA goat” by WW1X?

http://ww1x.com/sotagoat/

Wanted to contact the developer, but the official email gets returned - unknown email. No news on the website.

Using “SOTA goat” since my SOTA beginnings and still liking it. Enjoying the functionality (except for alerting) and the graphics.

Thanks in advance and vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

@WW1X (last login was August 2018 but he does have an account)

Rockwell WW1X’s active email is schrockwell@gmail.com. I think it’s fair to say all of his effort these days is going into RemoteHamRadio instead of SOTA Goat. When we corresponded 2 years ago he had been working on Goat updates, but it seems that has been abandoned.

Thanks, Brian. Had used this email to ask back after the mentioned first mail got returned, but didn’t get any answer here either.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

Agree, love all aspects of this app except the alerting function (which can’t cope with time zones). The mapping function is my first go to when checking an area I’m visiting. Hope it remains supported

Hello All,

I have noticed that adding a “Spot” does not always update SOTAwatch from this app. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Larry
KD4FTN

It’s always worked for me. The only “quirk” is with alert times. It can sometimes take a moment or two to get uploaded and then updated.

I still use sotagoat to place alerts. I’m usually 10 hours ahead of UTC and as sotagoat recalculates the times by adding 10 hours to my UTC times instead of just leaving them alone, I subtract 10 hours from my required alert time. Date changes must be taken into account.

If you are at zero hours from UTC, you should not need any adjustment, but whatever, just use test alerts and look for them, to work out what number of hours to offset the alert time from actual and go from there.

Sotagoat has very good functionality that I don’t think has been emulated by any other app. I’m sad that development has been halted if that is the case.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

The important point to make is that apps like Sotagoat will fail completely in the not too distance future as they use the old APIs which are now deprecated and will be discontinued. This and other apps need updating to use the new methods.

I can fully understand that the original author is now working on something different. But I think it worthwhile that someone should approach him and ask him if he doesn’t want to maintain the app any longer, if he will pass the source on to someone else. That way another iOS developer can take over the work.

4 Likes

I spotted myself today with sotagoat…

I like to use it. The only fault I recognize, is about setting the time for an alert…

73 Armin