Invaluable Spotters

Here in the US West, we have LARGE areas that not only have no cell coverage for a long ways, but mapping of public lands roads and research ahead of time for access to summits just doesnt tell the story. You often travel blind. Roads are OFTEN not what they seem. This often means of course you show up at a summit, hours spent on arrival, with no alert or spot whatsoever and with poor band conditions it often means endless CQs or search and pounce on otherwise non SOTA stations somewhere else. I just completed an area in Colorado where all 5 summits fit that category. I just want to say thank you, thank you, to those who offer to spot when they see you in CQ distress. You are a giant component of making this hobby work.
W0CCA

13 Likes

Yep. Yep. Today I tuned to a 20 meter SSB frequency to try and contact a DX WWFF activator. What I heard was a POTA activator in Michigan. He casually mentioned he was also on a SOTA summit. He was not on the SOTA spot page so I quickly spotted him.
A 2fer for me!
Gary W5GDW

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, Cap. Nice to hear you out there, and QSO!
Ken

1 Like

If there is any chance you can’t spot, then ALWAYS give an exact frequency in your alert. If it is busy, move off a little, usually up; we know how to chase. If you are late, chasers inquire on the alerted frequency from time to time, even if the alert has scrolled off. I did that today, and I heard someone else inquire, too. What to do if you can’t alert during part of your trip? Have a friend put up the alert for you. Yesterday, I added the 31st smartphone number to my list of stations who are free to ask me for an alert. If you can’t text at low elevations, try again higher up. That was done by KE5AKL, using his girl friend’s phone, around 2012, and his text finally came thru, resulting in an alert. How about putting up alerts for all five days at the start of the trip?

Elliott, K6EL

2 Likes

8 years to be delivered? That’s one persistent text :slight_smile:

Amen, and amen. Kudos to the spotters