International SOTA Weekend

Hi Barry,

Fred GI4MWA mentioned that he’ll do some SOTA in GI for the international SOTA weekend. I’m sure if you email Luc ON6DSL, he’ll probably do some SOTA in Belgium for the weekend, and if you email Aage LA1ENA and Mads LA1TPA and Kjeil LA1KHA, if sure they’ll do some activating in LA for the weekend and I’m they’ll also be activatity in HB for the weekend. The ZS assoiation manager ZS1AN has updated callsign to ZS6AA.
Hope to meet you this summer in GM hopefully doing a joint activation.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
Hi Jimmy,

I have a poll on www.sota.no and right now there are 3 votes for “Yes, I’m planning to activate”. I’m working both the suggested weekends but I plan to ask my boss for a day off.

Hope to work you S2S!

Mads
LA1TPA

In reply to GM4TOE:
An activity weekend…what a great idea! I would love a chance to work peak to peak even if that is a bit optimistic. Count me in.

Tom-N2YTF

In reply to N2YTF:

Tom, I find it fairly easy to work the States on 20m between 1200 - 1500 UTC, much after this window the signals drop off. So I would assume if you could be on a summit between 0700 - 1000 EST you would stand a good chance of s2s contacts.

In reply to G1INK:

A portable yagi hung from the fire tower would improve the odds a fair bit:

http://www.tacallbook.org/~ta1cd/anten/wireyagi.pdf

Nigel. G6SFP.

I have posted my provisional alerts for the Saturday and Sunday, and see that some others have too. It would be nice to see lots of other activators from lots of other associations posting their alerts over the next few weeks.

Fingers crossed for some good weather, because Jimmy, Sean and myself intend spending a long time up on Kinder on the Sunday.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G6SFP:
Nigel,

Thats not a bad idea. I have been dreaming of the YP-3 yagi from http://superantennas.com/ for some time now, but it is a little expensive and a bit heavy. Does anyone know of a less expensive portable loaded yagi design or kit that is not a wire?

The dream of operating my IC-706MKIIG at 100w with the yp-3 yagi from the top of the 90 ft fire tower on top of the 1,600 foot hilltop is exciting and could be allot more effective then anything I could put up at home…imagine that, a portable setup louder then anything I could put up at home…suburban lots UGH.

Perhaps a wire yagi is more practical for portable opps…

Thanks for the wire yagi idea & 73,
Tom

In reply to M1EYP: Saw the advert in Practical Wireless, I’d missed the thread on the reflector, but if you look I’ve got my activations booked for Hutton Roof tops and Ingleborough and I am going to tell the local club about it tonight :smiley:

Martin
M0ZIF

Excellent Martin. It is now nice to see that the activation list is starting to expand. Hopefully, it will be a weekend to remember with many international S2S contacts - and lots of UK S2S contacts - and lots of contacts with chasers in shacks.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Tom,
Thanks for the email earlier this week. Tom (M3XFG) and I will be making the trip up to activate Shining Tor on the Saturday. We will be joined by another Bury St Edmunds amateur. Hope to stay on the summit for most of the day, just need to figure out the power requirements! No shortage of leg power to shift the SLAB’s though! Looking forward to favourable weather ( hopefully! ) and plenty of contacts.

James G7MLO

International SOTA Weekend is within a month now. Quite a few alerts have been posted, but I am sure there will be many more people participating on the weekend (2/3 May) itself.

It would be nice to see some alerts from the various associations around the SOTA world, to really capture the international flavour of the event.

Is anyone planning to activate from any of the following “lesser spotted” associations?

OD, W2, GI, GD, EI, PA, HB0, SP, SM, LA, OH, OE, ZS

International SOTA Weekend would be the perfect platform to boost your association’s activity.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

“The SOTA MT will now go ahead and publicise this event as widely as possible, raising the profile of SOTA worldwide, and hopefully encouraging other areas to join the SOTA programme.”

Is this event still on? I have scoured the pages of Radcom twice and cant find any mention of it - unless Im missing something.

Yes Steve, the event is still on. It is a shame that neither PW nor Radcom used the press release and images I provided in their latest issues. I thought it was a cert when one of them came back to me to request additional images, which I provided, and they acknowledged. Still, not to be, and the editor’s decision is final.

I guess as both titles had two other SOTA-related news stories carried (albeit not supplied by me), then something had to go. Radcom also had a feature by Tim G4YTD and a section in Richard G3CWI’s “Portable” section about SOTA.

The press release and images issued DO appear in full in “Monitoring Monthly” latest issue. So you can see here exactly what was put out to all editors and newsgroups on the distribution list.

Look forward to working everyone on 2/3 May.

Cheers,

Tom

In reply to G1INK:

Is this event still on? I have scoured the pages of Radcom twice and
cant find any mention of it - unless Im missing something.

I’ve booked my accommodation near Dolwyddelen in the certainty that it is still on!:slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

Is anyone planning to activate from any of the following “lesser
spotted” associations?

OD, W2, GI, GD, EI, PA, HB0, SP, SM, LA, OH, OE, ZS

International SOTA Weekend would be the perfect platform to boost your
association’s activity.

The OH-hams know about the event since I put info on it to the SRAL discussion list (http://sral.fi). Myself I do not know yet. If not May 1st then later in summer.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:
I also hope its still on as ive booked day on Kinder Scout! Catch you on the air over that weekend.

I think a couple of weeks before the weekend the list of alerts will grow as more will have made there mind up where and when they will activate. Sean M0GIA

In reply to M1EYP & G1INK

Yes Steve, the event is still on. It is a shame that neither PW nor
Radcom used the press release and images I provided in their latest
issues.

PW did carry an article about the event in their April edition Page 12

Regards
Peter G1FOA>

Ulp! Yes, so it did! Nearly a full half-page as well!

Please disregard my earlier comments that it missed the editorial cut! Now frantically scrabbling for the April Radcom to see if it was in there as well, after all!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

A pity about the picture they used to illustrate it - clearly an invalid activation!:wink:

Brian G8ADD

Not so Brian. IIRC, the photo came from a valid S5 activation.

Tom M1EYP