International SOTA Weekend

I suggest the “Alerts” list/page would work better for this. (Once the date is set)

Then everything is in one place. You see who expects to be where and at what times. No one (other than the activator) needs to maintain it and it’s easy for chasers to keep up to speed too.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

I suppose the activators could print off the alerts page/s for s2s info.

Mike, GW0DSP

In reply to G0AZS:

I do see what you mean and have no intention of bypassing “Alerts”, but there will be the tiresome need to scroll through the activations preceding the weekend, and at the preparatory stage one can see how the coverage is shaping up more rapidly and cast plans accordingly by looking at the thread summary. Closer to the time people can transfer their plans to the “Alerts” page as they become finalised. In other words what I am proposing is a planning aid only.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It might be just me, but I really don’t see what all the fuss is about.

The only thing we need to sort out is a date to suit the majority of associations, then publisise the event everywhere possible, Reflector, News, Magazines etc, end of story.

Those who are interested in taking part will alert their activation as normal on the chosen day/s and just get on with it. It will work.

I reckon the KISS principle is the best option here and makes less work for Barry and the MT, not forgetting Sean M0GIA.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Agree to agree now all we need is to agree on a date, do we vote for a date or take one day from both proposed weekends and have 2 days over 2 different weekends? Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

It was your original idea Sean, so when Barry has completed his talks with the AMs to decide the date/s to suit a majority, it’s probably best that you and Barry make some concrete plans and include Tom M1EYP in his capacity as pulcity officer for sota, then just let it happen. Activators will alert as normal and a good time should be had by all, plus SOTA awarenes will be magnified by the media which Tom uses to publicise the event.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike

Did you know that there is a spelling checker on the reflector? Just click the ABC (tick) icon below the “Your Reply:” heading, when composing a message.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Yes I didd Richord howevor I am serprized yoo picced on my miner errers, rather than sum off the uvver artoshus posts on hear.

73 Mike GW0DSP

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Missed aches eye car knot sea

Hive run this poem threw it
Aim shore your pleas two no
It’s letter perfect in its weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

I agree with Mike. No need for additional databases and threads. This thread, the SOTAwatch Alerts, an agreed date(s), the usual press release distribution and plenty of enthusiastic activity is the way to go. Surely it would be more “tiresome” to create an additional activity list, than for anyone to scroll through the Alerts?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom, I think it also offers us another big chance to raise sota awareness internationally, if you add the url to the alerts page (and the sota website url) when you publicise the event. It will get people reading about the scheme.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to M1EYP:

Think of it as psychology, Tom. If we let it quietly evolve on its own, the enthusiasts who would probably have gone out anyway on a Bank Holiday weekend will be the only ones making plans. Their plans will be buried deep in Alerts where few people look - most people don’t look past today and tomorrow on Alerts. The more infrequent activators need to be encouraged out as well. If they can see the event building up week by week on the reflector there is a good chance that they will be stirred into adding their own contribution, if it is too low profile they will forget about it. I see it as a way of getting new blood into activations as well as getting new chasers. The more activators, of course, the more chance of enthusing new chasers. Positive feedback!

Brian G8ADD

I agree with the publicity and promotion side Brian. I was referring to your suggestion to create a “database” of intended activations - when surely the existing SOTAwatch Alerts is the best place for them, and indeed the best online facility to deal with them. As Mike says, publicity can point to this page in addition to whatever else it says.

Publicity will take two forms here - external and internal. Externally, I will issue the press release to all the main radio mags (including overseas), RSGB news etc. “Internally”, we need to encourage activators in as many associations as possible to get involved. I will liase with Barry GM4TOE here, as he is currently consulting with the Association Managers about the event.

So I agree with you aims and objectives Brian, but I think a separate “database” of intended activity, outside of our exisiting facility would actually be counter-productive.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G8ADD:

I have to disagree with you Brian.

Infrequent activators are not going to be encouraged to go out just because it’s sota international weekend.

This is where Tom comes into his own, by careful advertising of the event through the media.

Tom can make this event work by timing the publicity correctly. As individuals we can take it to our local radio clubs, myself and Roy will air it in our news slots, then there is the biggies, Radcom etc. It most definitely won’t be low profile Brian.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

If you want to publicise a May event in Radcom - you`d better hurry!

In reply to M1EYP:

I could understand it if you were to say that a separate condensed listing of proposed activations would be of no help in planning, but in saying that it would be counter-productive you have quite lost me, Tom. Wherein lies the harm that you enviseage? I see this “database” (I wish I hadn’t called it that, its just a planning aid) as the most effective way of realising your “internal” aim.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Brian

Just to make Mike feel less picked on, can I commend the spelling checker to you too?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Yes, I see 'em! :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

My vote is for the earlier May date.

73 Colin M0CGH

Following the proposal from Sean M0GIA to hold an International SOTA day the Management Team undertook to contact Association Managers to determine when would be a suitable date. The proposed dates have now been posted, for the last week, on the SOTA reflector for input from activators and chasers who would be interested in participating. Although no date is convenient for all participants the majority view is that the weekend 2 – 3 May 2009 is the preferred option.

Just for the record I have had input from the Association Managers in EI, OH, GM, SM, G, SV, OE, DL/DM, HA, GW, W2 and F. Other Associations have either not responded or have email addresses which “bounce” so it has not been possible to obtain responses from some very active and some rare Associations.

There is a lot of support for another event in August and there is no reason why this should not go ahead. It is hoped that some organisation by those who proposed it will happen.

The SOTA alerts page should be used, as normal, for activators to advise which hills they propose to activate but it would be helpful, as with the very successful NP event at the beginning of this year, for activators to liaise to ensure that there is not duplication of summits unless it is a party having a joint activation.

The SOTA MT will now go ahead and publicise this event as widely as possible, raising the profile of SOTA worldwide, and hopefully encouraging other areas to join the SOTA programme.

This is a participant run event and the MT hope all associations will join in this informal mass activation weekend and that a fun time is had by all.

Barry GM4TOE
On behalf of SOTA Management Team

In reply to GM4TOE:
Looking good and thanks for the hard work MT lets hope the WX behaves itself oh yes a sunspot or two wouldnt go a miss. Sean M0GIA