International SOTA Weekend 2010

The idea has been put forward, so are we all up for this again this year? If so can the AM’s start to discuss potential dates?

Gerald G4OIG

P.S. Please pick a sunny weekend - I need an excuse to laze around on a summit rather than dash around from one to another.

In reply to G4OIG:
Count me in

Perhaps better to defer to the originator at this point? Over to you, Sean M0GIA - any thoughts?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
I say yes and whole heartly agree with choosing a sunny weekend! I look forward to a “SUNNY” ISW. Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:
Just to add re dates for last years ISW, I recall the MT picked a date in consultation with Associations last time. This seemed to work and the idea of 2 days (weekend) was a better choice for those who couldnt make one of the dates.

You have to remember there was 2 NA summits activated and even worked S2S so it did have some influence outside of Europe, I am sure the North American guys will be interested? Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

Based on last year, the weekend of 1st-2nd May is the equivalent for this year. Again there is a UHF contest runing over that weekend which should ensure that there are some high power UHF/SHF signals around to encourage some to venture higher than 2m.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

Yes please. Sunshine if at all possible! Maybe there might even be a few more sunspots to assist us on HF as well?

John GM8OTI

In reply to G4OIG:

The first weekend in May was a very good choice last year, from the chaser’s point of view, with no major or International HF contests scheduled.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to M0GIA:
"I am sure the North American guys will be interested?"
For sure… I even have time to get the tuxedo to the tailor.
Stu

In reply to KI6J:
May sounds fine to me

Andrew K1YMI

In reply to K1YMI:
Of course we’ll take part of it!.

JP VA2SG

In reply to G4OIG:
Good idea…will try and liven things up down here on the Southern tip of Africa.
Allen

In reply to all:

How about a change from “SOTA-weekend” to “SOTA-day´s”
(3-4 days) or a SOTA-week.
It would encrease the chance for good weather and prevent
to big pile-ups (which in fact means more QSOs).

Just an idea :slight_smile:

Vy73 Fritz DL4FDM,HB9CSA

I see your point Fritz, but with that I feel the focus would be lost, compared to a weekend. I think with the success of how it went last year, the natural thing to do is hold it again on the equivalent weekend with the same format.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

In the UK, Monday May 3rd is a public holiday. A quick check shows that May 1st is listed as a public holiday in France and Germany. I’m not sure what happens in those countries when May 1st falls on a Saturday or Sunday, does Monday become public holiday? If it does, then that provides a 3rd to the weekend.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom

the natural thing to do is hold it again on the equivalent
weekend with the same format.

Given the huge amount of input that went into deciding on the first weekend in May last year, and the great success of the event then, it makes an awful lot of sense to go with 1st/2nd May this year - we can then get on with planning our participation rather than arguing about when we’ll be doing it - much more productive!

A definitive confirmation would be appreciated.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:
Go ahead for may 1st and 2nd, it’s my birthday! hi.

A single weekend is enough!

JP VA2SG

In reply to MM0FMF:

does Monday become public holiday? If it does,

that’s a good idea … but no. If the holiday is on a saturday or sunday the most workers have bad luck. One free day less.

73, Mario

Given the responses so far, it looks like the weekend of 1st/2nd May 2010 could be a good proposal. Can the MT / AM’s therefore please consider this and give it their backing or offer up an alternative? That will allow everyone to get on with planning for the event, e.g. dropping hints to the XYL, etc!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I think its the perfect weekend for it - I always have a climbing meet in the Dolwyddellan area that weekend!

Brian G8ADD