In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G4OIG:

That’s a pretty big shopping list…

Well it is and it isn’t. Awards certificates are just a nice picture
with some text on them. Their value comes when they can be
verified …etc…etc

Andy
MM0FMF

And I hought the idea was just to get as many participants involved as possible, with the basic idea being just to have some good old fun!

Mike GW0DSP

That would be my way of looking at it as well. My personal opinion (this aspect hasn’t been discussed in MT yet) is that the existing SOTA awards available for chasers and activators, especially those for uniques, cover this event adequately. I too think that the actual activity generated by this event will be more than enough to motivate people (as proven in the recent NP Fun Day), and extra titles and certificates won’t be required.

There is a provision in the General Rules for association sponsored awards, of which some associations already make use. Perhaps individual AMs could offer certificates/diplomas for certain “feats” on the day if they wished, but I personally don’t see the need for special awards to be central to this project.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I agree wholeheartedly Tom. Those of us who recently took part in the NP event ALL expressed what a great time we had, some commented on how the event had boosted their SOTA enjoyment, just imagine what an international event would be like.

My personal opinion agrees with yours Tom, this is about fun and enhancing SOTA activity and awareness, not a contest or certificate hunt.

Mike GW0DSP

As already stated, I think that the overall increase of activity will then have a knock on effect of increasing chaser and activator scores, so the emphasis should just be on fun.

I will take this opportunity to confirm that I’m also interested in this event, and it falls on the day of my 30th birthday also(3rd)!

As an aside, what happened to the ‘National Peaks’ (Snowdon, Ben Nevis, Scafell etc) event idea? This will now presumably be tied in with ISOTA weekend (I personally see no reason why not, especially as it was planned to happen around the same time of year.)

I really hope this takes off as it could be huge!

73, Colin

FB Colin. The actual date hasn’t been decided yet, watch this space.

This event sounds like a great idea. All being well I will be able to provide some activity from GI.

73, Fred
GI4MWA

M0GIA has proposed an International SOTA Day which the MT wishes to
strongly support and offer whatever assistance is required. We would like to
propose that the MT consult the AM’s about possible dates, taking
cognisance of the fact that there may be contests on HF which might
impact on the occupancy of the bands. At the moment there appears to
be a lot of support on the reflector for a date in May coinciding
with an event already organised by the German SOTA team.

I am happy to coordinate matters from the MT but would also (off
reflector) work with Sean, the original proposer of this event (and
any one else who is willing to assist), to come up with a proposal
that is acceptable to all SOTA organisations.

Hopefully the date of this event can be fixed within 10 days and we
can agree on a method of organisation that works as smoothly as that
used for the recent NP fun event.

Rather than discuss organisation on the reflector anyone is welcome
to email me directly with their input: barryhorning(at)btconnect.com.

Barry GM4TOE
On behalf of SOTA MT

In reply to GM4TOE:

Hi Barry

With all due respect, the participants appreciate the MTs offer to get involved with this event but I think that most people who intend participating in this event would appreciate it if you didn’t take it off the reflector.

The idea was born here and should grow to fruition here, where we can all be kept up to speed. Obviously, work between the MT and the AMs will be by email, but all proposals and ideas should be discussed right here at length, where those who want to be involved can offer their input and all can agree, disagree or pass comment etc.

Mike GW0DSP

SOTA-HA warmly welcomes the idea. On (around) 1st May we have
our Birthday Activity, so it would nicely fit with the proposed SOTA Day.

Zoli

I’m sure most preparation will be on here Mike, as soon as we have consulted with the Association Managers. Until then, everything is in the realm of speculation, so it wouldn’t do anyone any good to guess at tentative details on here, that some might interpret as concrete plans.

As Barry said, within ten days, we should be up and running with something concrete to talk about.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

FB Tom, but as you are aware, the NP event was born on the Sotaforum and discussed and organised both on that forum and here. The AMs read the reflector as just proven by the HA contingent. It’s not rocket science, we just need a date to suit all, we already have recognised sota frequencies and keen activators. As I said previously the MT interest in the event is very much welcomed by the participants, but surely the kiss system applies, pick a date and go for it.

Mike GW0DSP

Some do, not all. I agree that in terms of publicity and awareness, it will be in everyone’s interest to prepare and discuss the event openly on here. Let us agree the date and times with our AMs, then it will be all go. It wouldn’t be good to have various dates mentioned on here, as not everyone is a confident English speaker. So we will get the basic details established first, then announce them, then look forward to a fantastic event.

Cheers, Tom M1EYP

In reply to GW0DSP:

I see no reason to halt discussions here, indeed we would run the risk of losing momentum if we did. The AMs will be discussing dates to find a date that suits the most Associations, not making plans as to how the event should be organised and conducted. The use of the extended MT reflector just ensures a good signal to noise ratio so the one topic can be concentrated on without being distracted by the opinions aired on the reflector.

Have no fears that the MT will be organising everything in secret and practising mushroom management, their only concern is to maximise their support!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to GW0DSP:

The use of the extended
MT reflector just ensures a good signal to noise ratio so the one
topic can be concentrated on without being distracted by the opinions aired on the reflector.

Brian G8ADD

You might want to reword that Brian! I know what you mean, but it could be taken the wrong way, ie that the opinions aired on the reflector are merely distractions.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Go on then I might have ago, but one question as last time I made one it was only two banded inverted V. So if anyone interested in making me one then will participate. Any offers.

Steve m0sgb

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike,

My poor choice of phrasing - I know what I meant!!!

The only discussion I proposed off the reflector was the discussion about possible dates - so far we have every weekend in May covered, could be fun but I think we would all be SOTA’d out by then - hi! Once the AM’s have decided amongst themselves the best compromise - or compromises - then it should be put to all on the reflector for a final decision.

Then the work starts and this should be visible to everybody on this reflector as it was with the Sotoaforum NP Fun Day and everyone should have their input. The role of the MT (in the form of me) is just to act as a single point of contact should it be required and probably pull everything together once a final plan is made so that everybody can refer to it.

Does that make sense or has my loquacity run away with me again?

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

That makes perfect sense to me Barry and I thank you for the time and effort that you will put into it.

We have to get this right because the potential to put SOTA in the world’s spotlight is a chance not to be missed. With that in mind can I suggest that either the MT or Sean M0GIA contacts Radcom for pulicity as soon as a date is agreed on.

SOTA has gone through a difficult period recently, so let’s show the world of amateur radio what we are all about.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Yes, Mike, good points, Radcom plus nearer the day GB2RS, and I think we are bound to get a decent space in PW which if I remember correctly has a circulation of 70,000, and a news item in QRZ.com will gain international coverage…I wonder if it would be worthwhile sending a short item to the ARRL?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It needs to be publicised everywhere Brian.

Crikey, I might even consider putting it in the Summits News!!

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

It needs to be publicised everywhere Brian.

Good job we have a PR manager then… We all agree on this one Mike.

Bring it on…

73 Marc