Interesting chaser results with EFHW

On the weekend days that I can’t do an activation, I’ve been doing some “rookie” chasing. I am limited to an EFHW at about 20’ and 100w. What has been surprising is the radiation pattern I’m seeing based on who I have been able to successfully chase. It’s a small sample, as I’ve only made 6 HF contacts, but it is as telling who I can’t hear.

My EFHW (MFJ 80-10) runs almost straight north/south, and theoretically, the radiation pattern should be off the sides. Instead, it has been almost straight north to VE2, and southwest to W4. I can hear responses to W5, W7, and W0, but never hear the calling stations.

I’m guessing it has to do with the height (or lack thereof) of the EFHW, but I’ve gotten better multi-directional radiation with a 20’ vertical wire/counterpoise on an activation.

Just thought this was interesting.

I suggest making 1000 contacts with it and then analysing the directions. At a sample size of 6, it is very hard to draw any conclusions.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Should only take me about 20 years :wink:
Agreed that the sample is small, which is why I mentioned the activators not heard (while the chasers were) were more of a telling tale.

I think Andrew is right. You have to take into consideration the directional properties of the activators antennas, too. Some might be vertical, others horizontal or inverted V with nulls to take into account. The chasers that you hear could be running ten or a hundred times more power than the activator, and their antennas will have directional properties to take into account, too. With so many uncertainties the best way of reaching a conclusion is to increase the amount of data.

1 Like

Another thing to consider. An EFHW has a broadside radiation pattern only on the fundamental frequency. In your case 80 meters. On all of the harmonic bands the pattern is much different. But, like others have said, you really need more contacts to come to a definitive conclusion. Have fun!

73, Walt

2 Likes