Input to SOTA News

Contributions are invited for the December (Christmas) edition of SOTA News.

The deadline for submissions is next Sunday 29th November

Thank you to all who have already submitted articles.

Roy G4SSH
SOTA News Editor
g4ssh@tiscali.co.uk

In reply to G4SSH:

Looking at the alerts on Sunday January 3 2010 I am wondering what contest is this one? I do not seem to find it from the RSGB web site and the SM3CER calendar is not updated. Anyway those dates we have full moon.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

No contest Jaako, just the SOTA VHF Fun Day. And yes, anyone know why SM3CER Contest Calendar isn’t updating any more? I always found that a very useful resource.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I use the SM3CER contest calendar to select the list of contest dates for the SOTA News but it has not been updated in time for the past 3 months. I am having to use the 2008 list and adjust the weekends.

Does anyone kinow a different site of listings of contests?

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:
I find this one useful too Roy:

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/index.html

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to F5VGL:

Looking at the alerts on Sunday January 3 2010 I am wondering what contest is
this one?

It’s the SOTA VHF Fun Day. That’s why the comments for most of the alerts say “VHF Fun Day”. It’s an idea Chris 2E0FSR had in the past and proposed for this day. See Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day

Anyway those dates we have full moon.

I’ll make sure I have my revolver loaded with silver bullets and a phial of holy water just in case there are any lycanthropes on the hills. :wink:

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to G0AZS:

Many thanks for that link Marc.
I have added it to my favourites.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G0AZS:
Contest Calendar Has Moved

Yeah i agree this is a good site, been using since SM3CER hasnt been udating.
I think it gives the predictable contest dates up to 2017. But quite handy for planning 2010 activities. HI

MM6ADR

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’ll make sure I have my revolver loaded with silver bullets and a
phial of holy water just in case there are any lycanthropes on the
hills. :wink:

I had an idea of hiking in these conditions; temperature typically between -6 and -20 C with about 6 hours of visibility for moving if the weather is good. The moon could help, but then if it is visible the temperature will be cold too. I am not sure if my sleeping bag is warm enough. Probably I will do something easier. The bears are fortunately hybernating this time, so the bullets are not really needed - or maybe on the Scottish summits :slight_smile:

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

Only when the prides of wild haggis are out hunting!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Only when the prides of wild haggis are out hunting!

Fearsome creatures Brian and not something to be trifled with! I’ve only seen them once and that was down the remote end of Glen Campbell near the foot of the Beinn an t-Abhlaigh (Ben Affleck).

Andy
MM0FMF

(Sorry Roy, I’ll stop now)

In reply to G8ADD: This old Sassenach suspects that these sighting are something to do with a few (too many, HI) wee drams. Nothing like that down here, even if we are only a few miles from the Welsh border.

73, Dave, G6DTN/M0DFA