Injured by crampon hit - warning pictures of open wounds included

Hi Gary,
Thank you for the reply and kind words.
Yes,crampons are like the iron claws cramped on boots.
Even city boys like this kind of wilderness,right?
Join us!
Stay healthy Gary,thanks.

73 Atsu

Dear Atsu san,
Weren’t you wearing gaiters?
If I had to wear crampons, I’m pretty sure I’d be wearing gaiters too and I guess they would also be quite helpful to prevent too serious injuries from accidental hitting with my own crampons.
I recently bought a set of ice-spikes but I had to return them because they delivered a XXL size in error and that’s far too big for my small feet boots (my boots number is only 41 EU). Unfortunately my size was shown as not available at the moment, so I’ll have to order again some time later.

Guru

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes,I am always thinking what equipment to use,what to wear,what to have for emergency kit by seasons and conditions.
But I failed and couldn’t keep myself away from the accident this time to tell the truth.This is a story of my mistake,but I wish this could be a hint for the better activation for us all.
Stay healthy Ken,thanks.

Cu Atsu

1 Like

Hi Joe,
Thank you for the reply and info about Tetanus.
Yes, I should keep an eye on my body against it for a moment,thanks.
And it was you kindly edited the title,thank you.

Btw I saw your new video,we both made activations on the snow, same day on 11 April.
Same blue sky, a bit different conclusion ,・・・. hi
Stay healthy Joe,thanks.

CU Atsu

1 Like

Hi Atsu

That’s a nasty souvenir you brought back with you.

As Joe has already written - Tetanus is important!

Apart from that, I can recommend from my own experience that you exercise as much as you can. I am a great friend of physiotherapy!
You quickly get used to the wrong movement patterns with all the negative consequences.

I wish you all the best!

73 Armin

Guru san,
You are right.I left my gaiters in my car as I thought there would be little possibility to use crampons.As you say I think I should make it a rule to use them together.I relied on crampon guards on the pants too much・・.
Thanks for the advice, Guru.

Cu Atsu

1 Like

Hi Armin,
Thanks for the good advice.
As you say I noticed that I avoid kicking with my right toe when I walk. That may be one of the wrong movements, Armin.
I will try it harder as you say, thanks.
Stay healthy,Armin.

73 Atsu

I hope you recover quickly and cleanly from that.

I have slashed a pair of waterproof trousers a few times, but the worst incident occurred when erecting a Hilleberg Akto. While the tent was laid out on the ground, and I was preparing the pole, a gust of wind lifted the fabric. Instinctively, I stepped on the tent. That was an expensive incident and perhaps was arguably as painful as your injury looks!

I should add, on opening this thread I scrolled down looking for the photos first. Not knowing that you had used a hypercoloid plaster, my first thought was that the horrible mess of the removed dressing was the insides of you leg.

Hi Atsu san,

お げんきですか?

A painful story but good told. ども ありがとう

Nice to read you are ok now. I wish you more luck on all your future hikes.

73 Ludwig

What a terrible accident. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and better luck on your next trek.

73’s Wal VK2WP

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the reply and kind words.
I’m a Soulo user and I can imagine how you felt on that occasion,hi.
I’m wondering if I should delete that picture or …

73 Atsu

Hi Ludwig,
Thanks for the reply,and you write in Japanese, great !
Yes,I’m looking forward to the next hike…and a luck as well. :wink:
Good luck to you too.

73 Atsu

Hi Wal,
Thank you for the words!
I’m getting better day by day,thanks.
I sometimes feel that I was lucky I could manage the accident.
Good day!

Atsu

Check tetanus immunity is current. deep wound by unclean metal.

1 Like

Hey Atsu

That was not my intention. Of course, you also have to spare what needs to be spared! You shouldn’t inflict a pain on yourself that doesn’t have to be there. The body has a memory for pain and will always avoid putting itself in this situation - and precisely because of this, make clumsy compensatory movements that can lead to difficulties in the long term.

So do not overload the leg with the injury, use walking aids… but move it to prevent muscle breakdown and maintain mobility. There are many exercises. And when you exercise - please do it with both legs.

In Germany, doctors prescribe physiotherapy and you do the exercises specifically under supervision. If it’s possible, get help.

I had a serious motorbike accident 35 years ago. One leg was very badly damaged. It took half a year until I could walk again. Unfortunately, only the damaged leg was treated. Now I am a little bit crooked and notice it in my back. Such asymmetry can extend to the jaw joint.

Everything you do right or wrong in the next few months, you notice in the next few years or decades. Please be good to yourself.

All the best - Armin

Arrg what painful! I hope you are getting well,
72. Manu.

Brutal! Reminds me of the time I ate my ice axe. Wishing you a fast recovery Atsu!

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes,tetanus I’ll take care of,thanks again.
Good day !

Atsu

Hi Armin,
Thank you for the good advice again and I understand what you meant.
I keep your words in mind and will do my exercises with both legs.
Thanks again.

Good day!

Atsu

Hi Manu,
I didn’t feel much pain when I hit my leg,but just an impact.
When walk,every time my heel went deeper in the snow than the toe,terrible pain attacked me and could’t help screaming wGoooo nGaaaaa.
Now I’m OK,thanks.

72 Atsu

1 Like