Just a short activation report.
I’ve been waiting for a good WX forecast to coincide with free time for a while, I’ve been desperate to get out and do some SOTA. The forecast yesterday was workable- MWIS predicting 25 to 30 MPH winds and little or no precipitation. Over the years, I’ve made an arbitrary rule that I won’t activate in anything above a predicted 30 MPH wind.
Not sure if it’s because I’ve been unwell or because it was actually cold but I felt the cold yesterday.
I started on 40m as predicted but it seemed to take an age before I got a response to my CQs. Eventually I tallied up 6 QSOs but all were a bit of a fight, signal reports all being very low strength. It was a pleasure to work Juerg @HB9BIN for an S2S from HB/FR-019, I must have been a difficult copy at his end. I think Juerg usually runs a KX3, so I guess he could have been using 3 or 4 times the power that I was. Juerg’s signal was low with me but always readable, so a genuine R5.
Quite frankly, after my 6 QSOs and gaining the activation points, I’d had enough and my enthusiasm to try other bands had diminished, so I packed up.
At home I checked my antenna visually and for DC continuity and all seemed fine. I checked my rig and it was putting out >3.5w, so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the rig. I have been thinking of a while that I ought to invest in a new LiPo battery, I’ve had the current one for 5 years, which I paid £6.50 for.
I’m building a KD1JV Altoids SWR/PWR meter, an old but unbuilt kit that I acquired from a friend last year, my plan is to keep it in my MTR bag, so that I can check VSWR if needed.
I don’t know why I struggled so much yesterday, I haven’t been able to find fault with my gear. So, sorry to any chasers expecting me to switch to other bands, hopefully I’ll make up for it on future activations.
M1BUU/P feeling the cold on Ingleborough 18th Jan.