Info on GM/WS-337 An Cuaidh Please

Hi,

I’m going to Arran and Gairloch in the future and hope to activate from a few smaller one’s while visiting, most likely on 5Mhz.

The cottage I’ve rented is spitting distance from GM/WS-337 An Cuaidh , I would like some knowlage before hand if possible, from a previous activator or local.

I wonder if the the Mast site to the north of the summit is drivable in a car and if it has a take off to the south on VHF.

Regards

Nick G0HIK

In reply to G0HIK:

Hi, Nick.

I just did a quick Google search and there seems to be info available - albeit well spread about amongst the references.

GL with the search and the activation.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:
Hi Nick

We also stayed just down the road at Mevaig, I parked at the bottom of the track and walked up, there was a gate and it was open.

The track takes you up to the masts, but the breakthrough on VHF was really bad, so I walked across the bog to the Trig point.

There is some activity on VHF from the islands also one or two repeaters, I didn’t have a NOV at that time, but I guess 5Mhz would be your best bet.
Enjoy yourself up there, a fantastic part of the world.

Cheers Clive M1YAM

In reply to G4ERP:

Thanks for that I found a page about GM0AXY’s trip to the area, which will be usefull.

73’s Nick

In reply to G0HIK:
Hi there, Christine and myself are just back from a trip to Mull and Iona, and I have therefor only now seen your posting about GM/WS-337.
Christine and myself approached this summit from the eastern side by cycling as far as we could from the campsite at Poolewe before heading up the hill to the summit. This is however, the hard way to get there!
On another occasion we stayed at the campsite just north of Gairloch and then cycled all the way up to the lighthouse at Rudha Reidh. One could in fact take a car along the same track! Just below the An Cuaidh summit, there is a path used be the BT vans for accessing the mast on the summit. There is no problem about walking up this path to the summit.
We choose to activate on 5 MHz, and went to the south-east of the masts so as to escape a bit from the RF interference and the then westerly wind.
We will hopefully be back up there again soon.
Enjoy the the scenery!
73 de Ken - GM0AXY