Incorrect summit format when uploading adif

Error on Line 0: Incorrect summit format for your Summit Ref

I used an adif validator and it checked out but I keep getting the error. Below is the header as well all the lines in the log that contain the string sota

The header:

Generated on 2022-08-09T04:17:43.821Z 
<adif_ver:5>3.0.5
<programid:5>HAMRS
<programversion:5>1.0.6
<EOH>

The sota refs:

❯ grep -i sota W0C-sm-057.adi
<my_sota_ref:10>W0C/SM-O57
<sota_ref:9>W6/NC-423
1 Like

Is that zero-57 or letter-O-57? I’m away from a system I can login to see what’s in the logs but that’s the most likely problem.

3 Likes

Andrew,

Think you re right. The character between W and C has a slash through it on my screen, the other one doesn’t so is presumably an upper case O. cut and paste from the above post…

W0C/SM-O57

so SMO57 has an alpha O and it should be SM057.

73 Andrew vk1da

3 Likes

Seems that not yet all SOTA participants have already left the typewriter machine era. Seeing also from time to time spots mentioning “1o points” etc., so feeling nostalgic a bit then, hi.

73, Markus

1 Like

It’s an easy mistake to make. It shows how valuable it is to take references from a pre-filled list or from an alert (if that was correct). SotaGoat app can convert an alert into a spot, I use that if I’m posting the first spot. Alerts generally are not accepted without valid summit references, so we can usually rely on them and not need to re-type.

The Remington typewriter I used for club newsletters (cutting stencils and using a Gestetner duplicator to print the newsletter each month) did not have a numeral 1, so I had to use a lower case L. That was visually acceptable in those days (70s) but no good any more!

73 Andrew

1 Like

The keyword here in HB9 was Hermes 3000, hi.

1 Like

And there are so many for sale on eBay.ch!

I’ve just spent 30mins looking at old typewriters including IBM Selectrics. The German word for them seems so simple and just so perfect “schreibsmaschine”.

If you have never typed on a Selectric you just do not know what you have missed.

3 Likes

Was that the Golf-ball one or the daisy wheel one? I can remember our secretary at work cursing about having to keep swapping the print heads when typing up a report with maths symbols in it.
Also hearing “Brrrrrt - ping” from the daisy wheel version when underlining as the poor little arm broke off and flew across the room from being hammered at some incredible speed.

The one I played with was a Golf ball, same as the one showed in the title credits for Gerry Anderson’s “UFO” program. The feel to the keyboard was simply sublime. It appeared one day where I was working when there was some important letters to be printed and the Diabalo 630 daisy wheel turned up its toes. I really can’t remember after 40 years if it was linked via RS232 and used as a printer or if the young lady employed as secretary / PA just sat there and touch typed several tens of copies perfectly, copy after copy.

We all had a play with it later because we had just got a Toaster Mac (128k) and it had a brilliant keyboard and there were arguments over what had the best keyboard amongst all of us code monkeys. Universally agreed the Selectric was the best feel.

1 Like

I recall that the operator’s console on the IBM mainframe my employer bought in 1974 actually had a golf ball print head. They were indeed the best touch keyboard available. A far cry from the second hand Remington I learned to type on. A great investment of time that was, I used that skill for punched cards in my early programming career (72-76), then for typing programs on green screen terminals (79-82), then on personal computers (from 86 until forever). And now the PC, laptop and ipad. None of the current keyboards have anything like the feel of the selectric.

1 Like

That’s it thanks for being more observant than me!

Chris