If SOTA had an anthem this is it...

Very sad day with Johnny Nash passing away today. This has to be the Ultimate SOTA song and every time I hear it makes me think its SOTA time.

John VK6NU

12 Likes

Ah, too bad! Thatā€™s about 3 in the last week or so, Helen Reddy, Mac Davis, too.
But the song says it all !

John, K6YK

1 Like

And yesterday Eddie Van Halen, after a 10 year fight with throat cancer.

Howard, KE6MAK

John -
With all due respect to Johnny Nash and his wonderful song, Ivor Cutler and his song ā€œLittle Black Buzzerā€ has already been deemed most appropriate to represent SOTAā€¦canā€™t imagine anything better.

73, Etienne-K7ATN

10 Likes

It took me a while to adapt to his QSD but I think he says: ā€˜here I amā€™ - very nice!

73, Roman

Iā€™ve heard worse on the bands :rofl:

Having learned CW (presumably during his short time as a navigator in the RAF during WW2) Ivor Cutler knew what he was aiming atā€¦ unlike some of the producers of cover versions, who presumably being totally unaware of the whole premise of the song reduce the spoken CW to a meaningless string of La-Laā€™s :frowning:

1 Like

I like the bit from Wikipedia ā€œHe joined the Royal Air Force as a navigator in 1942 but was soon grounded for ā€˜"dreaminessā€™ā€. Yes because in 1942 if you were a dreamy navigator you were certainly not going to become an old navigator!

The actual piece is dire though, there isnā€™t sufficient mind-bleach available to ever eradicate the memory of hearing even just a small part of such a horn-dirge.

Many didnā€™t. The losses were terrible. 125,000 aircrew were trained in Bomber Command, 55,000 died.

I keep trying to convince the XYL that a good SOTA song, or at least a good song for an amateur in love, is Golden Earringā€™s ā€œRadar Loveā€:

"When she is lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable coming in from above
Donā€™t need no phone at all

ā€œWeā€™ve got a thing thatā€™s called radar love
Weā€™ve got a wave in the air
Radar loveā€

73 to all you radar lovers,
Scott WB8ICQ

1 Like

The words donā€™t need to be relevant, if the song has the right rhythm and tempo it will boost you along nicely. One that helps me is ā€œI am the Walrusā€ by the Beatles, just donā€™t try and make sense of the words, that way lies a headache!
ā€œI am he as you are he as you are me and we are all togetherā€¦ā€

Why not LvB:

73 Armin

3 Likes

Ivor Cutler and his song ā€œLittle Black Buzzerā€ has already been deemed
most appropriate to represent SOTAā€¦canā€™t imagine anything better.

ā€œā€¦ damn, the battery is goneā€
So true!

73 de Martin /HB9GVW

1 Like