Icom IC 706 Mk2

Hi All
Does anyone have the mod. for opening up the IC706 Mk2?
Any help appreciated
Don [G0NES]

Have you tried this site Don,1 freebie down load a day.Don G0RQL.

In reply to G0NES:

Have a look here Don, don’t know if any help.

http://www.io.com/~phalinx/icom/706gmod.html

73 Mike

In reply to G0NES:

Google found this for me Don from the dxzone.com website. There appear to be a few versions knocking about for US/EU models and different revisions of the boards. So that means YMMV ! :slight_smile:

ICOM 706 MKII Extended transmit mod 	 

This file may be freely distributed as long as it remains intact, with no modifications, additions, or deletions.

DISCLAIMER:
I assume no responsibility for damage or inaccuracies contained in this document. In other words, USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. It worked for me, however I don’t know if it will work for you.

WARNING #1: This mod requires the ability to remove surface mount diodes. Only those who are qualified to do this should attempt this mod.

WARNING #2: This mod seems to erase all memory channels, etc. You may want to save this info for reprogramming.

Disassembly:

1. Face the front of the radio towards you.

2. Remove the three screws in a row across the middle of the top of the radio.

3. Remove the two screws at the top rear (on the sides) of the radio.

4. Pry the top cover off from the back.

5. Disconnect the speaker at the connector.

Modification:

6. Near the top rear of the main circuit board, there is an small, oblong metal can. Directly below the right side of this can is two surface mount diodes with a white silk-screened box around them. There is also what appears to be a circuit board part number just to the left of it (mine says B4916D). Remove the LEFT diode in the box.

7. To the left of this, there is a test point marked CP3. Just to the left and above this test point is another box with two vertically mounted surface-mount diodes (Note: there is also a place for 5 more horizontally mounted diodes, with 3 installed). Remove the LEFT vertically oriented diode.

Reassembly:

8. Reconnect the speaker.

9. Put the top cover back on. Insert the top cover tabs into the slots and lower into position.

10. Replace all of the screws.

My radio did not require a reset, however I did lose all of my channel memories. It seems to be able to transmit everywhere except below .5 Mhz. I have not tested the power output at all frequencies yet.

I hope this helps everyone who have been waiting patiently for this mod.

Any comments can be directed to me:
Len - KC2ADV

Modification:
6. Near the top rear of the main circuit board, there is an small, oblong
metal can. Directly below the right side of this can is two surface mount
diodes with a white silk-screened box around them. There is also what
appears to be a circuit board part number just to the left of it (mine
says B4916D). Remove the LEFT diode in the box.
7. To the left of this, there is a test point marked CP3. Just to the left
and above this test point is another box with two vertically mounted
surface-mount diodes (Note: there is also a place for 5 more horizontally
mounted diodes, with 3 installed). Remove the LEFT vertically oriented
diode.

For first, my circuit board part number is B4916F, i don’t understand you what diodes i must cut off, explain me, my smd diodes looks like this:

O<>O 7
                          O    O 6
                          O<>O 5

J25 O<>O 4
O<>O 3
O O O O
1] ] 2 B4916F 8] ]9
O O O O
CP3
<__]

Diodes: 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9 are installed
Diode: 6 is not installed

My version is with Tone 1750Hz, European i think, RX 30kHz-200MHz, TX in amateur bands only, the serial number if needed is: 02101 buyed in 18.06.97 as new in Poland.
Sorry for my bugs.

Can You type me what diodes ? I think 1 and 3.

Rafa´ SP6-1313WR

Info on the diodes from another European user:

d129
---- (d111 none)
d112
d113
d114

d d d d
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
6 5 8 9

D116 and D118 are responsible for out of band TX. D115 and D119 enables RX from 30KHz to 200MHz. D113 is responsible for 6M RX and D114 is responsible for 6M TX. I do not have info about D129 and D112.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0RQL:

I have a problem with mods.dk in that the site encouraged everyone to submit mods to the database and after sometime decided you either get one file / day or you have to pay to visit the site. That’s a bit rich when the submissions where researched by and submitted by average hams for free.

You can find a number of manuals and mods at Index of /Mods and Index of /Manuals which have been culled from many sources and are available for free.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0NES:

Hi All
Does anyone have the mod. for opening up the IC706 Mk2?
Any help appreciated

Hi Don,
I got mine off QRZ

Terry de G0VWP

In reply to MM0FMF:
i agree with andys comment about mods.dk they even have mods i send in for scanners and cb radios but i never got a sausage from then and they want us to pay to download public submited infomation tut tut

i find forums a great sorce of infomation and very helpfull as when i joined the sota group i was new and have asked a few questions and got very good info back from all

someone here will have the mod and maybe even someone may offer to carry out the mod if you feel that surface mount is daunting hi hi

if i find my mods book i will post the one i have for the 706mk11g

hope this helps
Gordon MM3XGP

In reply to G0NES:

Have you tried this chap in USA Don:

http://www.kb2ljj.com/

Download speed for manuals can be slow at times, but I think he’s probably better now for mods, manuals etc. than mods.dk .

It’s free, though he does ask for donations…

73 Graham G4FUJ