Icom IC 705 practical use

yes, that’s the one:
https://www.gpd.hk/gpdmicropc
6-8 hours battery is enough for an activation
… and it has a real RS232 port.

Thanks for the info. Looks nice. Once or twice I lugged a small netbook along, but (a) it’s impractical with all the additional cables, (b) while FT8 carries you farther, it’s not as much fun as SSB (or CW, if you can do it).

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

6 Likes

Hi George,
Good points. Many posters are looking for reasons to not own a 705. Fine. I particularly like the bright if screen and the waterfall. It was a pleasure to use yesterday on two activations.

Many on this site have not learned to use a waterfall and don’t want to. Fine. For me it’s an extra tool in identifying band occupancy and modes in use.

The clip- on battery will do two activations for me but it would be at 5 W. I carry an external battery so I can run 10 W.

Most inbuilt ATUs max out on a 3:1 SWR. The KX series are better.

I can either use a resonant antenna or take an LDG tuner.

If I didn’t have a 705 then a KX2 would be my second choice.

Ron
VK3AFW
Happy 705 user.

1 Like

For a long time I thought that the waterfall display is an useless gimmik. Now I have a TS-890 at home and I am happy with it.
But I don’t think it would be of much use to me as an activator. But when camping it would be nice.
I am a fan of 2m Band. It would be great if this was included in my KX2… now I just take the transverter with me.
But… If the performance of the 705 was the same as the KX2 with transverter …and if it had an equally good antenna tuner and if the display didn’t reflect… mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhh I might get weak.

73 Armin

1 Like