Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

IC 705 & its backpack

http://www.fbnews.jp/202007/ww01/

And I thought I was the only one not getting answers when doing SSB while activating SOTA in Japan but apparently not. If Masaco-chan can only manage 1 QSO then you know it is nothing personal :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very attractive girls, radio and backpack!

£££££££s…

73 Phil G4OBK

oh yes, eye-watering price, listed at around $1,280 equivalent here in Japan…

Don’t see that on any Lake District or North Pennine summits, maybe we’re doing something wrong Phil?

Good review!
Mark.

1 Like

Must spend more time in Grasmere when the new normal arrives Mark. Maybe that is where we should go… Stay in the valleys and avoid the summits. Happily married (and quite wrinkly now) but, joking apart:

What a great marketing pitch that video is, it got me interested in viewing the other thread and actually seeing what the radio is like. Whilst the front of the IC-705 makes it look like a large radio, first impressions, it isn’t very deep in fact. I wonder how if it will sell to SOTA Activators and will the dealers throw the purpose built rucksack in as a freebie once they have had the intitial buying rush? My Elecraft KX2 (Fitted with one of the last Palms keys sold by SOTABeams) is not for sale yet!

73 Phil

PS Backpack doesn’t look like it will have room for much room for the essentials of food, drink, pole and decent wire antenna.

Icom Rucksack

Does the backpack have an Anvil attachment point ???

1 Like

Yes, it’s looks a bit twee and lacking for a 105lb one. Even lacking for Paul’s wimpy 75lb “beginners” anvil.

1 Like

I really, really welcome the IC-705 - it can only have a positive impact.

They are kind of copying what happened with their iCom 703 backpack but for 2020.

I know it won’t be for SOTA activators with crampons and icicles in their beards but it is just another option that you could choose, for more leisurely summits.

I have really enjoyed my time with the MCHF SDR transceiver, especially of an evening, picking out stations using the SDR. I can’t complain about weight or battery life given that I have been known to take FT-857 and 3 x 4200 maH LiFePos up big hills.

More portable radios is great. Bring us more radios! Give us more choice!

Regards, Mark. M0NOM.

2 Likes

I bought her album and joined the fan club. I am waiting for her new Cookbook on backpacker meals

She is setting up a schedule for QSOs
John VE3IPS

I wonder after all the radio bits in the backpack which is quite small if there is room for a flask of coffee and some Ramen?

I have the Icom 703 backpack and thats a bit short as well

For $200 / €200 / £200 the backpack needs have a built-in hoverboard to carry the Anvil. 200 for this kind of simple, small backpack - ICOM have to be joking! But someone will buy it!

By the way an interesting point - the list price for the IC705 is markedly higher than that for the IC7100 - which covers more bands at a far higher power! By the way ICOM UK/Europe have dropped the planned 4m band support from the IC705. I asked whether they would be enabling 8m for the countries that now have it - it seems not, so will there be some self-diode snipping possible to wide-band the rig?

Ed.