I Phone Confusion

I should be… But there again when you value form over function to the level that having a cool looking phone case is more important than the ability to use the device, i.e. making phone calls/wifi connections AND THEN you blame the customer for your vanity errors is the perfect summation of all that is Apple.

OH, that’s a shame, for purchased software you’d think that would be possible - OK, then no advantage of SOTAGoat over RRT and a Browser window then!

Ed.

I totally agree.

But looks always matter in the end don’t they, well in other forms of life, and now seemingly ever more present in tech.

To think the original purpose of computers was to solve difficult problems.

There really is no hope for humanity.

I must correct what I wrote about amending alerts and spots with sotagoat. It does have a deletion option for alerts and spots created by you. This was added in the 2016 version and I didn’t notice it. The delete option is shown at the very foot of the details page for an alert or a spot.

As for being paid software, it is so close to being free it cannot be regarded as a purchase, it is more like buying the author a cup of coffee. That price doesn’t buy any programming time.

With the alerting time issue sorted, I still find its display of the spots or alerts to be very well designed and convenient to use.

However for android users, the vk-portalog software from vk3zpf is so well designed and easy to use, i now don’t leave home without it. Running it on a Lenovo 7" tablet with a portable wifi hotspot.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Has it been sorted Andrew?

Plus this one, which has an audible alarm when a new spot appears:
http://www.on6zq.be/p/swf/#/spotfilter

Elliott, K6EL

I think PocketSOTA was first.

http://pignology.net/sotaapps.html

Hi Andy,

The software error has not been corrected in the version I have, and there is no pending update available yet on the app store.

But knowing about the error means you can quite simply adjust your alert date/time to counteract the error.

That makes the app fully usable again and more convenient to use than the website when using a small screen.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Or you could just get an Android and not have to deal with all of the goofy “power plug of the week” and other adapters needed to just make the dang thing work. Half of the non Apple branded power plugs are not “authorized” and wont work.

That said I do like the SOTAGoat app, and wish it was ported over to Android.

That little $9 adaptor has a D/A and A/D inside it. The X-rays are crazy.

Hi Kent, you directed your reply to me, I think it was probably meant for John - G1STQ who started this thread?

The only Apple device I have is an old version 3 IPOD Touch, my phones and tablets have been up until recently Android based. I now have a 10 inch Windows 10 tablet which has certain advanatages over my old 7 inch Acer Android tablet.

I’m not a big Apple fan although I respect the choice of others, to use what is normally a better supported and easier to use device. Being a “techie” I like to be able to “hack” things, so Android fits me better than iPhoneOS.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

I had SOTA Spotter on my android. It was a free app. I think It was a way better app than SOTA Goat. Heres why, First of all it was free. More filters, filter by callsign, association, summit, band, mode, region. The goat sound is cool but, SOTA Spotter would spell out SOTA in morse.

You would be correct sir. My apologies.

could that app post alerts, or only spots?

The software that only posts spots is part of the reason for the “be there soon” type of spot. that’s not really a spot, it’s a progress report. A spot is supposed to be for stations actually worked or heard on a SOTA summit. all other stuff including chat and requests, are not spots.

Well, that’s my view, I’m sure others may differ, but only by keeping things for their proper purpose do they remain useful.

Andrew vk1da

Only spots as I recall, I rarely put up an alert. I only used it for self spotting when I was set up and on frequency. It really shined from a chasing point of view because of it’s spot filtering. For example, there are at least a dozen 10 pointers line of sight from my house. During the work day those are the only ones I am interested in, SOTA Spotter was much more configurable and would only buzz my phone if one of those specific summits, or a specific callsign (that I chose) were active. Sota goat gives me every spot, all day long. Distracting me endlessly for spots that are all but impossible to get in the log. I have only had the iphone for a couple of weeks, I like it a lot but, android apps are plentiful and for the most part free. I think I had 4 or 5 free SOTA apps, several topo and gps apps. Instead of just downloading several free apps and picking a favorite, for some iphone apps you will have to spend $20.00 us. Okay, rant over.