I have a plan... (again)

SOTA VHF Fun Day 2010

It’s fair to say that anyone who took part in this years NP Fun Day (2009) enjoyed it. I returned home with 9 activator and 52 chaser points. A superb effort for those involved, you know who you are and I thank you again. In my opinion there is something about being on a hilltop in freezing temperatures playing radio that appeals to me. Others may agree, some will say that I’m insane.

The 2009 NP Fun Day was organised by quite a few people even though I was given most of the credit. For some time after the event I was thanked by quite a few people and not once did I try and claim all the credit. I always explained that it was a fantastic effort by many.

So,with all the disagreements involving SOTA over the last few months I would like to put forward my idea of a VHF Fun Day 2010 for Sunday 3rd January at 13:00. I am aware that some people travelled considerable distances last time so this time rather than a NP Fun Day how about a SOTA VHF Fun Day? That way people can activate their local/favourite summit and save time as well as money.

The 2009 event idea was attempted to be hijacked so before anyone thinks of stealing the thunder this is again the idea of Chris 2E0FSR. Hopefully this will bring some much needed fun back to SOTA and perhaps re-ignite the fire in some activators stomachs.

Although it is against my religion I have put my choice of NP-017 Fountains Fell on the SOTA alerts page. Anyone interested I suggest you do the same. For those who can’t access the alerts feel free to ask and I will do it for you.

So how about we all start batting for the same side for a change? Maybe too much water has gone under the bridge and this thing won’t happen but hey, WX permitting I’m going out there regardless of support for this event or not.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Sounds good to me, Chris.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Sounds good. A quick blimp at Jonathon de Ferranti’s panorama website shows that Queensberry SS-072 is a true optical line of sight to:

LD: Dent, Pillar, High Raise, Skiddaw & Blencathra
NP: Wild Boar Fell, The Calf, Nine Standards Rigg, Cross Fell & Cold Fell
SB: Sighty Crag

That should make VHF (and up) down into England a bit of fun from up here. WX etc. being acceptable put me down for SS-072 with at least 2m, 70cms, 23cms (SSB, FM, D-Star).

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to 2E0FSR:

I`ll be up for it again Chris,I enjoyed it last time

Scott 2E0RCS

I’ll probably get myself up something local or not so local. Shame we won’t be doing the fish & chips / pub meet again though.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to 2E0FSR:
Me and my Dad will do Pen Y Ghent again Chris, is it possible to run an updateable list like last time, let me know pls

Morgan

In reply to 2E0FSR:
Hi Chris, sounds like another great weekend for sota. Anything to bring sota back to where it should be. I cant say yes or no at this moment in time as i dont know what im doing new week never mind in 2010. Steve m0sgb

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Funnily enough Chris, Sunday 3rd January has been in my SOTA diary for months…

Currently scheduled for Birks Fell and Buckden Pike, but subject to review nearer to the date.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Pick one of those that are LOS to SS-072 then I can guarantee to have my first GM<>G QSO on 23cms.

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to G4OIG

I was wondering if this was going to happen again

I will activate SP 008 Boulsworth Hill had a great time working everone from there last year

73 Phil G1OPV

In reply to MM0FMF:

Pick one of those that are LOS to SS-072 then I can guarantee to have
my first GM<>G QSO on 23cms.

Not a bad idea Andy. I quite fancy Blencathra, but it’s a long drive from here, even for me… I will make a note of the proposal and consider it again nearer the time when we know whether we are going to have a bad winter or not, i.e. 5 minutes beforehand! :wink:

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Just get the long-term forecast from the met office - and reverse it!

Brian G8ADD

PS I’ll probably do Walton Hill again.

Quick edit - I’ve just checked the calendar and the mountaineering club is at the Coppermines valley, Coniston that weekend so I may do the OMC or Dow Crag, WX permitting!

sounds good to me

i will be in yorkshire (huddersfield-leeds area) at that time having a bit of a gathering with a few of my stateside friends and some uk friends (none licensed unfortunately) but i may be able to sneak up onto black hill or kinder scout - good way to start my new year :slight_smile:

Matt, M3WDS

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Just one suggestion - since we are going to be spread out geographically this time rather than just out in the NP’s, my preference would be to start on FM to work the locals (so releasing anyone just doing a lightweight activation to get off to the local pub) and then, maybe at or around a specified time, those that so wish can move to 2m SSB for the longer distance contacts.

73, Gerald