How Long Does It Take You to Set Up?

ROFL :slight_smile: You made my day :slight_smile:
But you forgot that the whole is also exponentially related to [number of interested on-lookers].

Just as Friedrich DĆ¼rrenmatt (Swiss author and dramatist) used to say: ā€œA story is only finished when it has taken the worst possible turnā€.

Seriously, I estimate about 20 minutes for deploying (from arriving on site to QRV) and about 30 minutes for tear-down (mostly to account for cleaning up and checking for completeness and to be on the safe side for e.g. cable car departure).
These times can easily be increased when Iā€™m perfecting my skills for arborist throw-weights or one-man mast guying.

Edit: The standard setup is a 13m EFT-10/20/40 Trail Friendly EFHW from vibroplex. Fastest is to get the far end a little bit higher up (this is where the arborist throw weight should help ā€¦) with a guying rope, the fed end is 2-3m above ground near my operating position, also guyed to a tree or to the ground with a small guying stake.
Alternatives are tying the far end to the mast (guyed to the ground with 3 ropes and stakes or optimally fastened to a fence post) or attaching the far end with a short rope of ~3m to a railing of a tower.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

2 Likes

A bit of ā€œbunceā€ is always a good idea, both in terms of set up and teardown and also in respect of estimating ascent and descent times. You can always spend more time on air or indeed relaxing with a post-activation beer. :grinning:

I used to allow 15 minutes set up and 15 minutes tear down, but in my more relaxed old age I now allow 20 minutes for each. If I am proposing a long stay on the summit, such as in the S2S events I might allow 30 minutes. There are occasions when I am on air inside 10 minutes, but often 5 minutes of set up time is taken deciding where to operate from in order to get the best take off, avoid the public, etc. The weather also has an effect on the timeā€¦ as most activators in GM know! :wink:

2 Likes

It takes me five minutes to get on the air. I use a KX2 pre-wired to battery, mic + earbuds, and key in small hard-shell case. Use Wolf River coil and custom reduced footprint radial field. Connect coax to radio a tune.

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s quick. I should have added that my standard setup is an EFHW of ~13m length (EFT-10/20/40 Trail Friendly from vibroplex).
Will edit my post above to clarify.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

1 Like

I used to use an EFHW, but wasted too much time dealing with throw lines, guide lines, masts and tangles. The WRC with reduced footprint radial field fits in a space 12ā€™ across, so i can set up just about anywhere trees or no trees. I perfected a method of quickly deploying/stowing the 18 radials without any tangles

1 Like

I often take 30 minutes to find a decent spot on a windy, cold *& wet winter activation. Thats a part of ā€˜settingā€™, up to me and is probably my most important decision - where to sit!!

I use CW only and operate on HF using a dipole. I like to find somewhere comfortable to sit and operate. In winter I find it quite important to choose the most sheltered spot as possible and this isnā€™t always easy if the summit is exposed with no obvious shelter like a wall etc., Then thereā€™s the added difficulty on rocky summits of finding the best place to erect a dipole safely. Finding a comfortable position and a good spot for the aerial are sometimes at odds with each other.

The setting up doesnā€™t always take that long but it generally means I can spend an hour or so activating if I wish even in winter. Well sometimes !!.

3 Likes

David, youā€™re written exactly what I do in adverse weather.

As I approach the summit I usually grab a bit of grass or moss to drop from an up-stretched arm to confirm the wind direction. That begins my search for a suitable spot on the lee-side of some rocks or, if lucky, a stonewall or structure, or if nothing, somewhere to pitch the tarp.

No matter how many layers Iā€™m wearing, keeping out of the cold damp wind extends the time I feel comfortable enough sitting on a winter hill top doing the thing I enjoy - having QSOs whilst admiring the view,

3 Likes

Andy - thanks! that makes me feel better. I thought I might have been uniquely slow! :blush:

Indeed, though often I find the wind changes during the activation and I get to feel the effects of the weather anyway. The trials and tribulations of the Non-fairweather Activator! It would be great if good weather could be arranged to coincide with the dates booked for the accommodation (often weeks in advance). :grinning:

1 Like

The tearing down bores me, but also, there are times when the sudden arrival of a lightning event causes a hurried departure. I really want to be able to tear down and gone off a ridge QUICKLY. I have a fond (?) memory of operating on a mountain in Colorado, I was facing south and a clear blue sky merrily making QSOā€™s when my grandson tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to face him, he was already pointing at the northern sky, pitch black, rain below it and just then a lightning strike launched out of itā€¦ HOLY CRAP !!! In three minutes we were high-tailing it off that ridgeā€¦ fred

For me, it depends on my mood, weather, hiking partners.
Normally 5-10 minutes setup and less for packing up.

Malen
VE6VID

Two major things that help and prevent my portable station setup time on a SOTA summit are: ā€˜The Weatherā€™ and ā€˜What band Iā€™m usingā€™.

If I do a 2m FM only activation, this can take 2 minutes. In those 2 minutes, I can attach my slim-g to the 4m telescopic pole, screw the PL259 into my FT-65e hand-held, and call out CQ SOTA on S20.

HF can be anything from 5 minutes to 10 minutes. This would include guying my 6m tactical mini telescopic pole, attaching the EFHW to it, extending to max height and pegging one end down and the other to my walking pole. 3m of coax attached from the EFHW to KX2 and Iā€™m away.

73, GW4BML. Ben

3 Likes

For me it varies massivly , like Ben 2m FM 1 min (and most of that is either putting an extra layer on or getting a cold drink), but for HF when I need a tarp putting up and if the dogs are being a pain it can be 30 mins plusā€¦ but one thing is guaranteed, an audience will ensure that my cables get twisted, my mast collapses and my set up time doubles. Looking out on Mickle Fell from the front window the summit is oozing with water with a light topping of slushy snow in a 30 MPH wind, Mount Emma somehow looks a bit more appealingā€¦

4 Likes

We all know how looks can be deceiving. One thing Escondito Summit and Tejon Pass is notorious for is high winds. This particular dawn was very peaceful, but when a offshore gradient develops in a Santa Ana condition, summits in this area get seriously raked by wind.

73 Eric KG6MZS

ā€¦I suppose on the plus side once having waded through the swamp on the way to most North Pennine hills the most dangerous animal encounter is usually a hungry sheepā€¦and dehydration isnā€™t usually an issue either!

1 Like

Having established a reputation for being later to the air than my alert predicted, I have been trying to get that under control. Most of my delays are not associated with setting up, so getting away from home on time is one part of it. Over-optimistic transit times to the parking area is another. Then the time to climb to the summit is something I seem to get wrong too many times. I have stopped short of keeping a diary of times, but that would clearly be the best thing to do!

Once Iā€™m on summit and have decided where to operate from and where Iā€™ll place my pole for the HF antenna, it is a fairly predictable time from that point. I use bags (from sotabeams as they are the ideal size and seem to be robust enough, even for me) to carry my stakes, guying ring with guy ropes and several other guying rings for other poles. Erecting the pole with guys placed at the top of the first section takes about a minute, or maybe two. I long ago stopped trying to use dinky-sized pegs of 3mm metal intended for beaches and now I carry 3 pegs of 6mm (1/4ā€) steel. They donā€™t bend at the first sign of resistance from the rocks below. There are lots of rocks on summits, otherwise there would be no summit. And my plastic mallet whacks them into the ground fairly well. In rare cases I will attach the pole guys to trees or rocks. In one case I used a bit of wood that I anchored down with rocks.

After that I get the doublet or the linked dipole mounted on the top section of the pole, attach feedline, lift the antenna up. Take pegs if needed out to the ends of the antenna and attach to trees or the pegs in the ground if there are no trees or they are at inconvenient points. I have about 3m of cord on each end of the antenna to ensure the actual ends of the wire are well above ground.

Getting the radio out of its protective lunch box, hooking up power, antenna, mike and key takes only a minute. So I guess that could all be done in about 10 mins but sometimes takes longer. I also set up a half wave vertical or the loop on 2m for the HT. The loop is better as it has a large horizontal component and as written elsewhere, horizontal pol is better than vertical on summits. The vertical rolls up and is carried in a second bag, with an extension cable of RG58 of sufficient length to reach the HT or 817.

Before even starting on the antennas I usually remember to turn on the logging tablet and set my summit and park details into vk port=a=log. I also set the phone to share its wifi network so by the time I finish everything else, the tablet has connected to the phone and is ready to use**. Swipe over to the spots page, look at who is where in the last 10 mins, swipe further over to the parks spots page, see if there is someone in some unknown national park or nature reserve, silo or other natural feature, decide who to call if anyone is there, otherwise find a clear freq, ask if in use, self spot on the tablet, call CQ.

And on a 4 summit day, do all that 4 times. Packing up is an important part of the next activation, if done in a different way it will delay the next one as you wonā€™t be able to find something important. Take care of antennas and feedlines, you would be lost without them working properly.

On average Iā€™d say 15 to 20m setup for HF plus 2m fm. Longer if I set up a 2m beam and even longer if 1296 is included.

** the wifi network set up by an iphone is a peer-to-peer network and it does not broadcast continuously to advertise itself. After setting the wifi sharing option, it broadcasts its id several times but stops after a defined time. If the tablet is not turned on at the time, it may miss the connection. Occasionally this has to be done a second time but mostly it has connected in the minute after this setting is enabled.

**If I use a portable wifi hotspot, it is an infrastructure hotspot so it broadcasts continuously and the tablet connects very quickly.

3 Likes

Hello Andrew,
Iā€™ve managed to get my QRV time fairly close to my alert time for most activations. Taking your points one by one:

1. My lifeā€™s got a lot simpler since I retired and I usually activate mid to late mornings on weekdays after early morning chores are done. If Iā€™m going to be delayed by more than half an hour, Iā€™ll edit the alert time.
  2. I use Google Maps to estimate my transit time (e.g. by car) entering the approx. time of departure so GM can account for expected traffic.
  3. I use OS Maps app from Ordnance Survey (on PC and smart phone) to plan my walking route from the parking area to the summit. Its estimated walking times are usually pretty good, maybe a bit longer than I take. Then I thought, ah yes, but they donā€™t have Ordnance Survey in Australia (not since colonial times) but it appears Iā€™m wrong ā€“ see link below. Iā€™m sure you have other mapping tools there anyway.
  4. I add a ā€˜setupā€™ time, longer for HF than VHF only.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with separate pages for the main regions I activate (G/LD, G/NP, etc) with line entries for each summit that include the above times and formulas that work out the important times including the parking time (for when I need to get a parking ticket) and total away-time (to help select which summit is doable that day).

[OS Maps launching in Australia | OS]

73, Andy

4 Likes

On my activation of Cracoe Fell G/NP-032 today it took me about 30 minutes to set up. Iā€™d say about half of that is getting all the extra layers of clothing on and then setting up the tarp to shelter from the wind. So on a dry summer day I can probably be on the air in only about 15 minutes.

3 Likes

To date, I have generally only done SOTA in good weather (but have been caught out by the rain a few times). Now that I only take a 6m pole + an EFHW for 20m, the quickest Iā€™ve ever set up in was 10mins and that includes a sweep on the NanoVNA too! When it rains, I can pack up in 5mins if I leave tidying up the antenna/guy ropes etc for when Iā€™m back home.

73, Lea M0XPO

2 Likes

Thatā€™s very organised, Andy, I should do something similar. I note most of your activations last for one hour, but some are only 20 mins for a time away from home of over 6 hours. I tend to stay at least an hour, unless the weather is so brutal (mainly wind, but sometimes cold) that I canā€™t stand it there any longer than I need to be. I think I would be more organised simply with a record of walking times and some notes about antenna setup, so I am prepared better when creating the Alert.
thanks
Andrew

2 Likes