How far away is Mynydd y Cwm?

Hi all
Sadly I wasn’t able to work Steve today from the “new” summit on 5megs but I have found HF a bit rubbish lately. However I think I have found the real reason I haven’t managed a qso to GW/NW-076. According to the SOTA summit page I am 5308.7 km away! The 700 meters is probably very important but as I live on the coast of mid Wales I have a feeling there may be something a bit wrong. In addition the page says the sun will set at 6pm, and that the summit is 000E and 000N of me. Is that even possible? :slight_smile:
Cheers
Q GW3BV

In reply to GW3BV:

I haven’t got round to sending Jon the coordinates yet, so SOTAwatch will have placed it on the Greenwich meridian at the equator. I’ll try to get round to it soon; then of course Jon has to get round to installing the change…

Of course this is all faintly ridiculous, but is a consequence of the main database not having a proper notion of coordinates.

In reply to GW3BV:

Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day gives the full info.

Andy
MM0FMF

Thanks for the information. I had read the reflector item but was curious about the location.
Couldn’t future “summits in waiting” on the database have their coordinates as 27°59′17″N 86°55′31″E? Perhaps more in keeping with “summits”.
Cheers
Q GW3BV

In reply to GW3BV:

Sorry I didn’t get to work you Q and a bit surprised as conditions on 5mHz seemed good. My summit report is in my Ramblings and reports thread. Maybe I’ll get you when I return with Helen.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW3BV:
Hi Quentin

You make a good point. Please rest assured that the MT have already discussed how to streamline the summits introduction and update process (Database, SotaWatch etc) and also tighten up the specification for coordinates that the database will recognise. It is “work in progress” but it will get better in the future.

73 Marc G0AZS

Hi
When I previewed the post it looked fine but the finished item isn’t what I intended. The coordinates are 27 59 17N 86 55 31E, Everest…
Marc, the MT always does a good job as far as I am concerned, no criticism intended.
Steve it is a pity I missed you. My aerial is terrible and without someone fit and healthy to help its not going to improve anytime soon! Still when conditions are right hopefully I shall catch the new one. I did enjoy your report. “The Englishman who went up a hill”, is an inoffensive little film though the fact that the two leading welsh characters are played by Irish thespians is a bit of a mystery to me!
Hwyl fawr!
Q

In reply to GW3BV:
Hi Quentin

I didn’t take anything from your post other than some useful feedback. I just wanted to give you some information.

As for temporarily locating Mynydd y Cwm in the Himalayas… hmm I wonder what Roger the AM would say about that? :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS