How do you stay comfortable during a long activation?

Top level!

1 Like

Left is best.
Strangely enough, when I pick up a morse key, I naturally use it with my right hand, leaving the left one free for writing. Win, Win!

2 Likes

Iā€™m the opposite, naturally right handed, but many years ago I decided to learn to send with the left hand thus freeing up my right hand for writing. My good friend Phil G4OBK thinks itā€™s a bit quirky, but it works for me !

Victor GI4ONL

2 Likes

Iā€™m left handed, operate my keyer with the left hand and keep my touch screen stylus in my left hand while transmitting. Works fine for me.

73 Jens

2 Likes

I got one of this, light, inflatable and comfortable.

73 de ruedi

2 Likes

Just like me, but on reverse (Iā€™m right hand for writing and left for cw sending)

2 Likes

When there is a handy trig point on a quiet summit, I tend to use the trig as a table and work standing up (often with the mast bungeed to the pillar). I get less pain at the end of the day doing that than any manner of crouching. The only disadvantage is the walkers who want a selfie :slight_smile:

There are a few local easy summits where I can take a full size camping chair - that is real luxury !

Rick

1 Like

Thatā€™s Sodā€™s Law in action. On the rare occasion I do that [thinking, Surely no one will come to this remote summit anytime soon?], people turn up mid-CW QSO and I feel obliged to move.

4 Likes

Unfortunately SOTA summits are Marilyns so muggles like to tick them off too. Why anyone would want to just touch the trig point and not sit for an hour in the wind and rain Iā€™ve no idea.

5 Likes

Comfortable? Iā€™ve long since abandoned such fanciful aspirations.

3 Likes

I have this. Very ligth not expensive

py2vm
carlos

3 Likes

I have one. GREAT!!!

saludos de py2vm carlos

1 Like

This is a good choice for seating. 2 euros in AliExpress. For grass or snow works perfect.

Into the backpack works like a cushion between the gear and me.

2 Likes

Last week I activated a number of G/LD (Lake district summits) but on the way to the lakes I knocked off G/NP-001 - Cross Fell.

It wasnā€™t a nice summers day - it was a bit damp and cloudy on the tops and was gusting 25 - 35 knot winds. I chose this summit for a number of reasons but mainly because it has a lovely cross shaped shelter stone wall.

On arrival I chose the most sheltered quadrant. I wore medium weight trousers. And waterproof overtrousers. I had a thermal vest, a shirt, a fleece jacket. A windproof smock with a ā€˜gilletā€™ and another goretex jacket over that. I also sheltered, or rather tried to shelter behind a tarp Iā€™d carried.

I was frozen. Even gloves did not keep my hands warm. I managed to stay an hour. I had to run about on the summit before I warmed up enough to take the antenna down and pack my kit. The temperature at the summit was around 2 degrees Centigrade.

Sometimes it doesnā€™t matter what you wear youā€™ll still get cold.

David

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had this too, body temperature dropping like a stone with every QSO. And thereā€™s not always a direct corelation with the temperature, wind speed, etc. I donā€™t want to blind you with a load of medical science but I put it down to my biorhythms being ā€˜offā€™ that day.

I had to look this up [gillet, gilet] ā€“ a thick waistcoat sometimes with lots of pockets. You see them everywhere but Iā€™ve never worn one - on the principle that my arms would be too cold. Am I missing out? Undergarment or top layer? Or both?

2 Likes

There are times when the extra 18kg of lard I carry comes in useful. :wink:

3 Likes

I guess we are all made different, but a gillet is the last thing I would want (and yes, I have tried one). It is my hands and feet that suffer from cold - Iā€™m more likely to benefit from gloves and a T shirt than a body warmer (gillet).

In the context of this thread, I find that a warm drink is beneficial and Iā€™ve taken to carrying a small flask of coffee on cold days.

1 Like

Yes, done that myself for a combination of warmth and a stretch after a long session.
I often carry some cheap hand warmers which, although not always long lasting, are useful for warming the hands enough for packing up of antenna and equipment.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve brought out my Walk Stool basic if needed. Havenā€™t brought it out much but itā€™s comfortable. In fairness I only hang around the summit for the minimum time to activate catch a brew and sort my kit.

I colder WX I often carry a couple of those ā€˜boil in the bagā€™ hand warmers. But if the WX is that bad I often forget to use them as Iā€™m so busy concentrating on keeping warm and sheltered. Ironic isnā€™t it? :joy:

1 Like