How do you pack your Arrow Yagi for a hike? What about logging while in use?

I use Stuarts great design here: Ultralight Hiking Pole Yagi Antenna | KB1HQS

My walking poles are always with me and now have the mounts permanently attached.
The 146-3 Arrow elements are carried in a surplus telescoping pole bag strapped to the side of my pack with the telescoping Sotabeams Tactical Mini pole (for HF). Quick to assemble and very effective.
Geoff ZL3GA

3 Likes

I will try it this evening on my first activation in Connecticut!

Also I am thinking that using the Yagi with only the driven element is a…dipole?

On my last couple activations I have been experimenting with the RG-58 feed line perpendicular to antenna verse led straight back to handhold and there is a consensus that signal is stronger led straight back parallel to boom.

I’ll report back my findings on taking off the director and also using as a dipole.

Erik
KE8OKM

1 Like

I haven’t heard about the contest but will check it out! Your right 6m could be fun!

Erik
KE8OKM

1 Like

AB8CI and I will be activating The Pinnacle on Skyline for the contest. We are also discussing camping out overnight as well. My vote is for getting a backcountry permit and hammock camping somewhere near the summit.

Chris

3 Likes

K6ARK made a 3 ele without the reflector and had good results…
Will it work? Yagi with no Reflector - Antenna Design/Build/Test - YouTube - link here in case anyone missed it…

73, Todd KH2TJ

2 Likes

Hello how do you match the antenna ?
Best 73 Nicolas

1 Like

Bumping this because I used that pack in anger yesterday to activate w4v/sh-030 (Blue Mtn). Due to time constraints, I did it as a drive up and parked at a trailhead about a quarter mile from the summit (normal entry point for me is one that is about a 2 mile hike). I was able to get the Arrow antenna, a thin pad to sit on, 1 of my two radios, a bottle of water, my 6m EFHW, a 2m j-pole, 15’ RG174 coax, 25’ RG174 coax, and my throw line in it.

It was comfortable to wear, but moved around a little bit. I wouldn’t recommend it for long hikes, but I’d consider it tolerable for 2 miles or less. I think it’ll be my dedicated VHF activation pack.

As for the activation, it was a bust. The summit is studded with multiple radio towers and is an RF QRM nightmare on VHF (especially 2m). It’s doable with a single band radio like an Icom IC-V8, but virtually impossible with anything touting “wideband receive”. I was testing my new TH-D74 (which has “wideband receive”) and brought my VX-7 along (hence the 6m EFHW). Needless to say, both were swamped by the QRM. I did hear a guy on 220mhz call to me, but I was using the D74’s rubber duck antenna for that and he couldn’t hear me well enough. I may have to build a j-pole for that band as it seemed to work better on the summit than 2m.

Chris

1 Like

last year I loaded with a 6 elements yagi 2m boom mounted from my car to the summit of 2650m, I hope never will repeat.

2 Likes

I use the voice logging feature of the FT3DR. I respond to all QSOs with “Got you in the log at XX:XX” since I use the VOX feature.

4 Likes

Gotcha. My main 2m HTs don’t have a record function, but my TH-D74 does, so I’ll give that a try.

Chris

1 Like

For lighting the original boom you can drill holes to remove material along the length of the boom.

Chris, N7NAV

1 Like

I cannot emphasize how highly I recommend doing this! With a drill press (ideally) and some time, you can lighten the boom by 40%. Here is Mike W8LID’s article on doing this: Dropbox - LidStick.pdf - Simplify your life

My only recommended adjustment to these instructions was an idea by RJ WY7AA to use a 1/2" bit, which increases the amount of material removed but requires more precise drilling.

2 Likes

I have used a 1/2" drill bit. You will want to use a drill press when using larger bits.

Chris, N7NAV

2 Likes

Chris here is my SOTA/work BP I have the collapsible-boom Arrow in Purple bag shoved in side of largest compartment. I use a short piece of line to tie zippers together.

Here is Yagi on Cascade Mt W2/GA-10 on today’s activation!

Erik
KE8OKM

7 Likes

Purple Yagi

Very stylish :+1:

73 Armin

1 Like

Ha! I think purple increases dB by .001 I can tell you though, it helps differentiate from all the other Yagi’s strewn about I see on summits! :joy:

2 Likes

I am looking to make my own arrow antenna for 70cm and 2m.

I have sourced some inexpensive arrow shafts (less than £2 each) and am trying to decide on a couple of other design choices that I was hoping for advice.

Will be using a 3/4 inch square cross section boom…but not sure what wall thickness. Is 1.25mm too thin…the pictures linked to above suggest a thicker wall. Could you confirm what wall thickness the arrow antenna uses please?

For the gamma match, i would like to use the same style as the arrow antenna…but i cant quite work out the design of the bnc connector block: Is the block machined and tapped to take a chassis mount bnc…I can’t see how the rear nut can be attatched to the bnc so assume it is screwed into a tapped hole, but equally i have never seen bnc connectors screwed into a tapped hole previously (as it would surely loosen with use).

Thanks for any help.

(Apologies for the thread hijack/resurrection …will post any progress updates seperately when i get properly started)

2 Likes

My Arrow yagi shaft measures out to 1.55mm wall thickness. I think 1.25mm would be fine as the Arrow shaft is frequently deemed too heavy for backpacking use.

I agree with your assessment that the BNC is screwed into a tapped hole. I can’t see any other way they would have assembled it. With sufficient torque and thread locker, it would be secure.

Chris

Chris

2 Likes

Just copy one of the many gamma matches that are well documented on the web.

1 Like

Most of the ones i can find on the web use a piece of angle aluminium for the bnc. This is less functional for a portable antenna as the bnc is attached to the boom.

In the arrow antenna design the use of a machined block allows the gamma match to be held by the driven element, such that the gamma match, driven element and bnc are a single unit that removes from the boom in one piece, without any screws other than the threaded stud in the driven element.

It also looks cosmetically much better.

2 Likes