Horton in ribblesdale Parking

Anyone whos recently done pen-y-ghent, can you tell me what the parking situation is in Horton?

I believe theres a big car park, is it a National parks one? and what are the charges for a days parking?

cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

You can park at the pub in HIR for about a fiver (paid in the pub), added bonus is you throw your boots in the car and walk less than 5 yards to the bar :slight_smile: - I was charged to park in summer, but when walking in February the deal was have a drink when you come back and there is no charge. Check with the bar staff.

I wouldn’t suggest grass verge parking as the local sweeney take a dim view of this practice…

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tim - G4YTD

In reply to MX0TSE:

The following site says £3.50 for stays over 2 hours which sounds about right.

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/old-index/old-living/old-carparks.htm

The car park is fairly small so you’ll need to get there early on a weekend/bank holiday (say before 10am) to make sure of getting a place.

The popular alternative starting point is at Dalehead SD842715 where the honesty box suggests a payment of £1

73 Rick

In reply to M0RCP:
thanks for the replies chaps

Rick, it has to be Horton this time - im doing the three peaks as part of a group! ALthough i’ll be going semi-independant in order to do SOTA.

Martin

In reply to M0RCP:
thanks for the replies chaps

Rick, it has to be Horton this time - im doing the three peaks as part of a group! ALthough i’ll be going semi-independant in order to do SOTA.

Martin

In reply to MX0TSE:

Last time I did the 3 peaks, you could park at the cafe free so long as you used their booking in/out system for the walk - however this may have changed in these money grabbing days.

In reply to MX0TSE:

Hi Martin,

Good luck on your attempt. Nigel (M0NJW) tried to talk me into doing the 3 peaks challenge (i.e. all 3 in under 12 hours starting from Horton) earlier this year but then lost interest so I had a narrow escape. Perhaps next year.

73 Rick

In reply to M0RCP:
Rick, theres still time! we start at 07:30 local, just drop a few quid into the school funds and you can join us :wink: