Hope Mountain GW/NW-062

I don’t want to bore everyone with repeat activation reports on this summit, I just wanted to apologise to those who didn’t hear me today.
I alerted to coincide with Tom M1EYP’s activation of G/SP-015 in the hope that we could both get our first cw s2s, Barry M3PXW had told me /m on 2fm that Tom was already up and running, however, David, the farmer, kept me talking in his farmyard prior to setting up, he is a really nice chap and we are on first name terms now, hi, so not wanting to appear rude, I stayed for a short natter with him.

I only had the FT-817 and rubber duck for 2fm so opted to get onto hf and the possible cw s2s with Tom, when Barry broke the bad news that Tom had battery problems and was now on 2fm. I did switch back to 2fm Tom but couldn’t hear you on the band and my call to you on s20 went unanswered, maybe next time eh?

At this point I QSY’d to 40cw but only managed to work three stations, but reports coming back were poor, mainly 339, plus, the swr was up and down like a fiddler’s elbow and I suspected an antenna problem, especially when my CQs on 40ssb went unanswered.

A Qsy to 60ssb brought in a few regulars led as always by Alistair GW0VMZ, thanks for the regular contacts Alistair.
After a short period on 60ssb I said I was going to QSY to 80cw and Frank G3RMD kindly offered to spot me on 3.560. Only three contacts were made on 80cw including Frank who I had already worked on 60ssb. The swr problem was still intermittent, so I thought it best to call it a day, get home and test for the fault.
I was so annoyed with myself when I got home, to find a bad joint on one of the PL259s on the patch lead between the atu and trx. I just “grabbed” one and threw it in my rucksack in my haste to get on the road, I should have checked it prior to leaving home, good job it was my local summit!!! a very valuable lesson learned, I won’t make that mistake again.

Apologies to those who couldn’t hear me, including Dan DH8DX/P on
DM/TH-114, who I called and called for a s2s, but he couldn’t hear me.

Thanks to Barry M3PXW and Steve GW7AAV and to all stations for the spots and to all stations worked…

GW7AAV/M, M3PXW, DL1FU, DL4FCK, F8DGF, GW0VMZ, M1MAJ, G3RMD cw/ssb, G4FUJ, G4WHA, G4GJE, 2W0IBM

vy 73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Thanks for a new summit and new WAB area on hf. Just need to catch it on vhf/uhf now!

Graham G4FUJ
Cheltenham