at first: HNY!
I’m using a LiFePo 4S2P with 6.6 Ah with an integrated B(attery)M(anagement)S(system) since september 2014. Charging is done with a genuine IMAX B6. Via the optional USB-Interface modul I get the charging graph on the PC.
Until middle 2017 this was my only battery for SOTA. Since than I’m using my FT817 optional with an internal LiPo 3S (lower volume, lower weight). The LiFePo is well until now.
The maximum charging current of the battery should be shown in the data sheet or on a label. I found on the label “max 6A”. That is equal to about 1C. My setting for the B6 is 4 A. The B6 limits the starting current automaticaly to 3.7 A. I guess, its because of some power limitations inside the charger. So charging is done with about 0,56 C.
I think its good to use a genuine B6. Before buying mine, I was reading some posts about clones. Some clones are described to be in a bad quality. For my B6 I checked the voltage displayed on the B6 against the value, measured with a good DVM (accuracy better than +/- 0.022 V at 14 V). The difference was less than 0.04 V for current between 1 A and 3.7 A.
I read about lifetime extension for Li-Batterys by avoiding a discharge to near 0% and a charge to near 100%. It should be a good idea to use only the region between 20 % and 90 % of charging. This was enough for my FT817 (with 5 W in SSB, with speech compressor and calling much) for more than one activation and / or long activation. For each hour of operation I had to recharge 1 Ah.
When store the battery over a longer time, the charging level should be not 100 %, better about 85 %, U=13.2 V. The B6 has a special function “STORAGE”.
So, these are my experiences.