Highest summit in OE, Großglockner 3798m, 2m FM - Activated

Hello,

I am planning to activate the highest summit in Austria this Monday, 25th of June, in the morning.
Großglockner 3798m OE/KT-001
using the standard route.

Will hike with two fellow hikers and a mountain guide.
Plan is this Saturday to reach Stüdlhütte, Sunday together with the guide ascent via the glacier to Erzherzog Johann Hütte (the highest mountain hut in Austria at 3454 m) and Monday morning in about 1,5h to reach the summit.

You can check the webcam from the Erzherzog Johann Hütte looking towards the summit here: http://glockner.viewbito.com/
(because of the current weather change fully in the clouds)

Depending on WX conditions,we expect temperatures of about -10°C with 20 km/h wind, this will make it a short activation. It will of course depend on the willingness of the others how long we can stay.

I will only bring my 2m handheld with the lambda/4 antenna but maybe also wire-j-pole.

Expected time will be 9:00 local time (7:00 UTC). I guess +/- 30 min.
Will update the alert as soon as I know more. If I have no phone reception I might send a spot in the evening before via APRS2SOTA with details.

My SOTA friends Martin @OE5REO and Gerhard @OE5PGM will try to catch me for S2S from summits in OE/OO. Thanks a lot to them for taking time on a Monday morning. Very much appreciated!
Hoping for more chasers :+1:

Looking forward to this adventure!

73 de Joe

8 Likes

Hallo Joe,

Ich würde unter diesen Voraussetzungen auf den J-Pole verzichten und mit der Aufsteckantenne arbeiten.

Wir versuchen vom 13er Turm (Auto) aus QRV zu sein. Nach dem Resultat des Geländeschnittes sollten wir Sichtverbindung haben.

Wir drücken Dir (Euch) die Daumen für ein gutes Gelingen und einen sicheren Abstieg.

73 es 55
Peter & Sylvia

2 Likes

Hallo Joe

wenn die Arbeit zulässt, möchte Ich mit Auto auf 2.000m fahren und provieren ob es klapp.
Die Luftlinie wäre sehr gut.

73 und schönen Aufstieg

Markus in3adf

1 Like

Vielen Dank für die Unterstützung und Tipps.
Freue mich auf ein QSO.

Wenn ich neues sagen kann melde ich mich.

73 Joe

Hallo Joe,

Falls die Verbindung gut ist, werden wir schauen, ob wir dir Logbuch führen können. Handschuh + Funkgerät + Stift + Papier ist in der Situation nicht immer einfach… (wie wir vom Großvenediger ja selbst wissen ).

Good luck!
73, Sylvia

2 Likes

Hallo Sylvia,
Das wäre natürlich super. Werde trotzdem mein Logbuch mitnehmen und hoffen auf gutes Wetter.

Danke schon mal an euch alle :grinning:

73 Joe

Hallo Joe,

Viel Erfolg und komm gut wieder runter! Ich bin am Montag in der Steiermark. Ich fürchte, das wird nicht klappen…

73 Heinz, OE5EEP

Hallo Heinz,

Vielen Dank für die Wünsche.
Ein andermal passt es wieder.

73 Joe

Hi Joe,
ich werde versuchen, dich vom Gaisberg SB-268 aus zu chasen. Theoretisch Line-of-sight, 92km. Sollte klappen.
GL !
73 Gilbert

1 Like

Hi Joe,
100km für mich - wenn dass “line-of-sight” ist bin ich nicht sicher aber Ich wurde probieren dich zu hören.

Ed DD5LP JN58la.

1 Like

Hi Joe,
It’s obvious that this is a big challenge so good luck and take care,
73, John

2 Likes

Hi Ed,

Looks like line of sight but 167 km. That should be fine.
Thanks for the support.

73 Joe

Short update.
Arrived at Stüdlhütte at 2801m. Light snowfall.

73 Joe

2 Likes

Arrived at Erzherzog Johann Hut. The highest elevated hut in Austria at 3454m . Guide will decide in the next minutes if we go already today. But most likely tomorrow morning.

Hut Panorama

Update: Montag 7:15-8 Uhr Lokal Zeit.

73 Joe

5 Likes

Today morning update:

Heavy snowfall
Planned departure from hut about 6:30 local
QRV at about 8:00 local

73 Joe

Today morning update:

Heavy snowfall
Planned departure from hut about 6:30 local
QRV at about 8:00 local

73 Joe

1 Like

take care! under these conditions, I would not dare to ascent to the summit!

1 Like

:tada::clap::point_up:Mission completed!
Activation successful with the help of the OE5 Fanclub:
:ok_man: Peter OE5AUL
:ok_woman: Sylvia OE5YYN
:ok_man: Martin OE5REO
:ok_man: Karl OE5JKL
:ok_man: Franz OE5FSM

OE5JFE JOE was on the summit around 0615 and we were able to work him on 145 475. 145,500 was not possible due to other QSOs on that frequency.

Congratulations!!
Sylvia OE5YYN

3 Likes

Rats! I’ve been listening on 145.500 with the beam pointing his way since 8am local (0600 UTC) and no one posted a spot to say he was on 145.475.

Well at least he’s safe, I was starting to worry when I hadn’t heard anything.

That’s life!

73 Ed DD5LP.

1 Like

Congratulations to Joe for this great achievement and all of you OE5 guys for being such good friends.

3 Likes