High street smash and grab

Evening all
Has anybody activated high Street in the last few days?

Looking for walking conditions if anybody can help me please?

Intended route -

The Rigg, Up rough crag, looking down into Blea water, to get to summit of High street.

It looks pretty exposed on the map, it is years since I was last on this one.

Return route would be a reversal of the inbound route.

Any pointers, or safer routes appreciated - looking potentaialy at Wednesday wx permitting.

Thx

Tim

G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:

Has anybody activated high Street in the last few days?

1. I’ve no idea. But the database will give you list of all the activations and when they took place for any hill. For High Street it only takes 6 clicks and a bit of scroll wheel jiggery! :slight_smile:

2. No.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4YTD:

I can’t offer much on current walking conditions, its supposed to warm up a bit over the next few days so the snow line might retreat up the hill a bit.

In the absence of any first hand infomation (and assuming you haven’t already bookmarked it) have a look at the felltop assessors report from Helvellyn over the next couple of days. Aye, I know it’s Helvellyn but it’s not that far away and the east side of Helvellyn is pretty similar in orientation/aspect etc to High Street.

The ridge looks more exposed on the map than it actually is, don’t get me wrong it’s not an east anglian field, but you can walk up it all the way without the need to cling on for dear life and without the feeling that a foot either side will send you “back to the start”. Nice walk, and if you didn’t fancy going back that way you could drop south east to Nan Bield Pass.

Suspect you might make use of the wall, looks like it will be breezy.

Iain, MM3WJZ

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy

1. Thanks
  2. Thanks, I think!

Tim
G4YTD

In reply to MM3WJZ:
Hi Iain
Thanks for the information. Dont think I will have time to take in Nan Bield after the activation. I have both “off” routes plumbed into the GPS incase the activation takes longer than anticipated. Hopefully the wx will be kind to me and allow me a few needed activator points.
Tim
G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:

Check the internet for webcams, the ones I know of are in Langdale, Keswick and Coniston, too far away to be a real help but there may be more by now.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4YTD:
Ask on the WOTA forum, Tim. The locals will have some fair information and lining up half a dozen chasers awaiting your summit arrival is then relatively straightforward.
73 es sd

David M0YDH

Hi Tim
I was hoping to do a round of Wainwrights and SOTA summits on 2m FM from the Patterdale Hotel this side of the New Year to grab some points. I can’t go tomorrow (Tuesday) but Thursday looks favourite weather wise at present from what I can see. I’m going to decide whether to go on Wednesday afternoon. I don’t have an ice axe and crampons - just have some Grivel Spiders. Its a long way to drive and then find it just isn’t safe. I can’t see any thaw affecting the top of Helvellyn/Dollywagon/Nethermost so I’ll be keeping well away from the edge. Getting up over Swirral Edge could pose a problem for me. Cofa Pike isn’t easy but that can be got around. I’ll need to be walking by 7.30am to finish at a reasonable time so that for me would mean a 4.15am alarm clock. There won’t be any shortage of chasers I’m sure, even on 2m FM which is all I will be doing.

73 Phil

Morning Brian,David and Phil
Thank you all for the advice, Thursday is looking favourite here too.
I have the ODG web cam on my desktop all the time, it helps when work is not going too well!WX permitting I am going to give High Street a go, if conditions not good, maybe a re-think for plan two on the day. I won’t be taking any chances…

I do need a Lake District fix - watch out for the self spot :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all the replies.

Tim

G4YTD

Like you Tim, I need the fix before Xmas. Lose a few pounds in weight on the walk and then eat what you like over the holiday. Get rid of the extra few pounds in the New Year…
If you have a 2m handheld please carry it and we can talk to one another from the tops. If the forecast stays as it is at present for the Lakes I will be on the A66 Scotch Corner by around 6.00am on Thursday.

73 - good luck and stay safe

Phil

In reply to G4OBK:
Hi Phil
It is looking good for tomorrow! I have a 2m handie with me so will look out for you on 145.500 fm.

Safe journey, and hopefully speak to you in the morning.

Tim

G4YTD

Great stuff Tim - see you tomorrow on the air.

Phil