HF SOTA at 5100m asl

Felicitaciones Diego, creo que tus cumbres y actividades estan entusiasmando a mas de uno. Y mucha gente esta entrando al mundo SOTA gracias a que tus activaciones siempre son interesantes y desafiante. Exitos!
Andres LU3HO.

4 Likes

Congratulations! That’s quite an accomplishment on many fronts. Thanks for sharing it with us!

1 Like

Very impressive! I would like to go to Argentina and operate from mountains in Patagonia. It is not safe to do this as a solo trip, so I am looking for somebody else who will join me.

3 Likes

I converted the log file using the ADIF Processor to a Google Earth KML file that can be downloaded from here in case anyone wants to see the QSOs and location easily on Google Earth. This also shows the nearby SOTA summits.

I am curious about the use of /V and /D at the end of callsigns. This throws the processor, so I can add them in as an option but would be interested to know what they stand for?

Thanks, Mark.

3 Likes

Hi Mark,
As it was explained some time ago on another thread, the Argentina regulations request that stations transmitting from a location different to that of their initial base station license address, use the suffix letter of the province they are transmitting from.

Guru
P.D. you can see it explained here.

1 Like

In Argentina the first letter of the suffix defines the location. For example Diego LU9(M)ZO is a ham from Mendoza Province “M”
Other ham with a “P” as first letter in his suffix is from San Juan Province.
If LU9MZO operates portable or mobile in San Juan Province he must add /P
If he is operating from Buenos Aires City /A, Cordoba Province /H … and so

1 Like

I forgot it. Chaco-Formosa-Santa Cruz- Tierra del Fuego are defined with the 2 first letters of the suffix

Thank you @JP3PPL Takeo and @EA2IF Guru for the answers.

In that case I think the ADIF Processor will do the right thing - it will attempt to find the most accurate QRZ.com page. So if an operator has setup a /V page in QRZ.com for example then the location from that page will be used correctly.

Otherwise it will be down to the activator to obtain a Maidenhead Locator or address (such as the name of the city) from the chaser which is standard for anyone not at their home QTH. In the UK using a /A ‘Alternative address’ suffix falls into this category.

As always for accurate logging I encourage you to ask for a locator or location where someone isn’t at their home QTH but is unlikely to have a QRZ.com page for that location. For /M ‘Mobile’ operators I now ask what the nearest motorway junction is for example.

It is wonderful to see there is such a vibrant amateur radio community in Argentina, with a keen interest in SOTA.

Regards, Mark.

4 Likes

I recommend it to you! Take Route 40 and you can activate LUM-LUP-LUY

let me add some photos from another country waiting in line for SOTA. CE-relatively safe mountains in the Atacama desert. This is our record of qso on a 2m band - unfortunately only to the camp base.

the car boiled water -4500 meters above sea level
Ojos de Salado: cold or normal
what we did at the summit, we don’t remember anything
we are happy to exchange 1000 activations in the European lowlands to return there…
5000m altitude is everywhere at your fingertips - but your forces are you know what?
SQ9NOT SQ9MDF 73"

9 Likes