HELP - I'm being chased by a robot!

For those with an interest in using PSK-31 while activating, Jupiter research has developed, and continues to improve, a wave-powered autonomous maritime mobile amateur radio station. It is operating on 20 meters, and is known as the HF VOYAGER. This is not a repeater; if you call it, it will call you back and give you a report, including its location using grid squares. It is now operating off the West shore of the big island of Hawaii. Plans are to send it to the far reaches of the oceans. For those fortunate enough to have an Elecraft KX3, or a rig with similar capability, the wave glider can be reached by reducing power to 5 watts, selecting DATA mode, which transmits PSK31 (AKA PSK-D) as audio on upper sideband. The KX3 can convert paddle-sent CW into PSK-31, with just a few pushes of its panel buttons. For North American West coast, ZL, VK and JA amateurs in particular, this should be a relatively easy path at the appropriate times of day. I’ve worked the glider from Arizona several times using a KX3 as described above. To determine if a path exists I listen to the NCDXF Hawaii beacon on 14.10; if I can hear the dashes all the way down to 100 mw, I know I’m in business! For full information, with a picture of the HF VOYAGER, see the following website: HF Voyager — JRF Amateur Radio Club

2 Likes

Hi Ken, interesting project! A bit like RBN, but more interactive, and goes places that other stations don’t… :smile:

We just need one of these: Introducing Spot Classic (previously Spot) - YouTube
equipped with Amateur Radio to nip up a summit or two, and we can just enjoy SWLing :smile:

Adrian
G4AZS

1 Like

Adrian,
Yessss! When I make my first million, I shall have one of those to carry my pack!
Ken

Hi Ken,

It seems that Jupiter Research may have finally gone “legal”. I wonder if the ARRL Intruder Watch had anything to do with reforming them.

There was a period of time - mid-2014 I think - when I regularly heard automated CW signals from wave glider beacons on 14.062. They transmitted coordinates and identified as Jupiter Research Foundation, but never used an amateur radio call sign. Operation was totally one-way, and their signals just activated automatically at 30 minute intervals, regardless of traffic on the frequency.

It was a bummer to have signals from Jupiter QRMing licensed SOTA stations, then insultingly signing off with “73”.

Hi Gary,

Before my time, so don’t know; but think that was a CW beacon before the wave glider.
I’ll ask them. Sigs now are PSK-31, are on appropriate frequencies. and it does identify.

Exchange now, for those who would like to communicate is as follows:
Tune to 14.07 MHz
Call – KH6JF KH6JF de (your call)
Listen for response about 8-12 seconds later
If you here nothing try again
If you hear a return, do not try to respond. After the return KH6JF signs with “sk QRZ?”
Wait a few minutes and try again if you like…

Hi Ken,

Well as it isn’t a repeater I presume it would count for a qualifying contact for an activator.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Hi Ron,
Well, it needs an invitation, in the form of your call, so it knows who you are, but it does call you,
so at that point, it is a chaser to the best of my knowledge.
Best, Ken