Hello everyone from Deering, NH USA

Steve, KC1CHJ here. New Member and excited about SOTA. Where is Deering, NH you might ask. Located about 1/4 way up the state, half way between Concord, the Capital of NH and Keene, probably the largest city in the west if the state. Deering is rural, agricultural (my wife and I have a horse and sheep farm) and in the foothills of the Monadnock Mountains! In fact one of the summits recently activated i can see from my farm.

Im looking forward to learning, participating and growing into the community!

Regards,
Steve KC1CHJ

6 Likes

Welcome aboard Steve. Warning: SOTA is highly addictive, and very fun!

CU on the air.

-Josh WU7H

Thanks Josh!
Steve KC1CHJ

Careful Steve you will be day dreaming about SOTA looking at that local summit out the tractor window. Its a great way to pass the time and go places you normally would not go to. Been fun for me with lots of hard hikes and long drives home.
regards
Ian vk5cz …

1 Like

Welcome onboard, Steve,
I’ll be looking forward to chasing you and being chased by you.

Guru

Welcome to the Sickness :smiley: I hope to S2S you in the near future from W6/W7N

1 Like

Welcome Steve from your neighbor in Lyndeborough, NH. Have fun!!

Randy W2RAN

Hey, Steve. I’m Chris KG6CIH just down the road from you in Merrimack. There’s a bunch of activators and chasers in New England, so I think you’ll find there’s plenty of SOTA activity to keep you busy. If you’re ever interested in doing a joint activation or a summit to summit day, lemme know.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!
Chris and Randy - as my local to NH folks I might be leaning on you guys for help!

Steve - KC1CHJ

Hi Steve, welcome to the fraternity, you will enjoy the acivities and new friends you make.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

Welcome to the gang! We are looking forward to your activations and your contributions to the summit information pages for NH!

If you have any questions that need answering, have any suggestions, or if you are confused by anything in particular feel free to email.

Tom, N2YTF
W1 Area Manager

Welcome Steve,
I have activated pretty much every peak around you. There are two peaks that access is denied by the state constitution, that may never be activated. If you have any questions, or would like to do a joint activation, please do not hesitate to contact me.

73 Doug de W1DMH

Doug, W1DMH,
I see you have previously activated HA-219 (Clark summit in Deering, NH) I live almost below the hill top on Old County Road!.

Did you operate up near the Cell tower? I have been up there and there is a cleared area just past the tower and buildings, is that where you would operate from?

I’m thinking of doing an FM 2M simple activation from up there sometime in the next couple of months so any input you have for up there would be great.

Also, a question: I don’t see Pats Peak, the ski area mountain in the database is that one of the forbidden peaks? I go up there to attend to our club repeaters which are located in one of the buildings owned by the Ski company up there. Let me know - I do have a friend who lives at the top of Cranny hill which is the peak next to the ski area, I believe.

Steve KC1CHJ

Welcome Steve!
Will be listening for you on the air.
All Best, Ken

It looks like Pats Peak is a sub-peak of Craney Hill. Neither have the 150m prominence required for SOTA. Pats Peak - Peakbagger.com

And for Clark Summit, I think there is a trail up to the top from Wolf Hill Road. I found a map from the Deering town site that I linked to on my blog, but the link seems to be broken now :grimacing: But a little bushwhacking is always fun :smiley:

Welcome Steve. Warning - SOTA is addictive! See you on the trails!
Mike NS1TA