Heads-down folks

Those wandering in the Scottish Hills today, Friday August 12, might care to remember that it is the first day of the grouse-shooting season aka The Glorious Twelfth. Glorious for shooters, perhaps, but not so much fun for the grouse. :weary: I suggest all activators on grouse moors in GM-land keep their heads and backsides down, antennas retracted and wits about them as not all participants on the Glorious Twelfth are crack-shots! One glimpse of a low-flying dipole or a KX2 emitting a squawking sound could see them suddenly peppered with shotgun pellets… :rofl: I’ll be hiding in the shack chasing activators, not grouse. It’s somewhat safer. 73 Mike

5 Likes

I tried a bit of grouse hunting here in the US but never had much luck. Little SOBs wait until you’re right on them before they take off like a rocket. :smiley:

I do better with squirrels and deer. Some of my favorite hunting grounds are on or near SOTA summits, so I may combine the two this year. I need a Q-code for “hold on let me take this shot”. :smiley:

Chris

Chris

2 Likes

Perhaps “QRX” for “stand by” then after the bang “QUA” for “Have you any news of (callsign) GR0USE”……. :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

QM16, followed by QMD when you shoot yourself in the foot.

Elliott, K6EL

3 Likes

I’ll do my best to avoid that. :smiley:

Chris

1 Like

There is a definite lack of the Red Grouse this year (and for the last four years). Many shoots have abandoned plans for a shoot this year (us included).
The local farmer asked us to help with a plague of crows yesterday so it was suggested we send a boxfull of those to the London restaurants and see what these Michelin starred chefs could do with them :rofl:

3 Likes

That would be fun. The classic Two Ronnies “Rook” restaurant sketch comes to mind…. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve seen recipes for crow and have heard it’s not bad if you cook it right.

Chris

Tastes remarkably like Swan.

3 Likes

A young swan is much more palatable.

2 Likes

They taste like Eagle.

3 Likes

This product (a staple of many a summit sandwich years ago in the days when it was still considered treason to eat a real swan in the UK) contains no traces of swan, although as a youngster I was not so sure! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

More like Flanders!

4 Likes