HB9PIM is now Mountain Goat 🐐

Congratulations René HB9PIM on achieving Mountain Goat status in wintery conditions last week!

RenĂ© is MG #39 in HB9, having taken only 1Âœ years to reach this goal. Of note is that he operates almost exclusively on 2m, where it can be difficult to get 4 QSOs on some summits around here, especially on a weekday. Yet he always manages to do it somehow – probably owing to the fact that he usually lugs the “big stuff” (pole, HB9CV antenna, high power radio) to the summits.

His daughter Sabrina @HB3XTZ often joins him and has recently got her amateur radio license. With both of them infected by the SOTA virus and well known for fearlessly venturing to the summits come rain or shine, I’m sure we can look forward to many more activations in the future! Below is a link to their YouTube channel (videos in Swiss German).

vy 73,

Manuel HB9DQM

10 Likes

Hi Manuel

I have been asked by HB9PIM to respond in his name, since he is not registered here in the reflector.
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing this nice text.

What a journey the past 1.5 years have been!
René started with hiking about 2 years ago and made his radio license as a student. It did not came to his mind to take his radio up to the mountain for some time. it was only after someone mentioned SOTA that he started doing it.

During the summer he is every wednesday & saturday out activating a summit. (Saturday i’m usually participating) And i think having an eye on the 2019 Activator results where he currently is #5 (all HB activations) is as much a motivation as getting some fresh air and expierience the adventures of nature. :smile:

He also took it as far as staying on a mountain (HB/SZ-011) over night in the summer 2019 and i can only imagine what expieriece that must have been!
Here you can see the sunrise on SZ-011:

René was also the first and currently only person to activate HB/GR-362

The standard eqipment is FT-857 and HB9-CV Beam. Everything weights about 10-15kg.

Here you can see the CV Beam in action on the HB/GL-016

Some activations have the best view & weather HB/GL-012:

Others make you feel like the end of the world is happening HB/SG-021:

But no matter what the weather is like, it is an adventure every time :slight_smile:

With the Youtube channel we are trying to bring some of the wonders we see back in to the homes of persons that don’t have the time or are not phisically able to go and see for themself.

Sabrina (Antenna holder, log writer, movie editor & daughter) of HB9PIM

9 Likes

Wow, that was fast, congrats! I was delighted to get acquainted with both PIM and (not yet licensed) XTZ at our HB9SOTA group activation last summer. It sounds like I’ll have plenty of opportunities for an S2S if I take my 2m rig with me in the future. 73/88 Paul HB9DST

2 Likes

Great – congrats RenĂ© on achieving your mountain goat status!

Family activations are a good model, enjoying that here, too. I’m sure that you’ll now both take the opportunities to provide a similar success to Sabrina (and many S2S QSOs to the rest of the herd). So continue to enjoy!

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

1 Like

Hoi René
Da hast Du ja mĂ€chtig Gas gegeben :+1: Ganz herzliche Gratulation zum 1.Mountain Goat auch von uns beiden :smiley::smiley: 
und weiterhin viele eindrĂŒckliche SOTA-Bergerlebnisse :grin::grin:
Die Schneeschuh-Saison ist ja inzwischen eröffnet und in 2 Wochen beginnt auch schon die neue Bonus-Saison - wir freuen uns bereits auf unser nÀchstes SQO mit Dir und dann wahrscheinlich gleich auch auf unser 1.QSO mit Sabrina :sunglasses::sunglasses:

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

1 Like

Congratulations René on achieving Mountain Goat.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Congratulations René on your MG!
I feel impressed by the short time you’ve needed to get it.
I started activating 6 years ago and I’m not even close to MG.
imagen
I also feel a bit jealous about you having your daughter activating SOTA with you and finally having got her ham license. I have 2 daughters and 1 son and so far I’ve been totally unsuccessful on motivating them to get out to the mountains with me. Even less success about raising some interest on ham radio or doing SOTA. I still keep some hope about my 9 years old son, but my daughters (17 and 15) are nearly a lost case
 :frowning_face:
Congrats again and I’ll be looking forward to making QSO with you sometime in the future.

Guru

2 Likes

Hi Guru

René had to laugh when i told him about your reply :smiley:

I saw that if MG was about number of QSO I’m sure you would have made it a long time ago. :slight_smile:
Here in HB we have a big advantage of having a lot of summits and also a big part of them beeing reachable in a reasonable time when traveling by car. Also having the opportunity of 2 SOTA days during summer when the weather allows to activate 10p summits has a big impact.

Family activations are a lot of fun, try to ask your son to help you build an Antenna and then test it up in the mountain. That way René got me to even pack some of the heavy gear in to my own backpack and walk with it up to the summit. :smiley: What could be more interessting than testing something that was built by yourself.

Good luck with enlightling the SOTA spark in your family
73 Sabrina

1 Like

Thanks for this suggestion, Sabrina, I’ll think about it
 :thinking:

Indeed, but the 10 pointers I have in the Pyrenees are quite a long drive of nearly 2 hours one way from my QTH and have usually long hikes of nearly 3 hours one way. That means that a single 10 point summit activation for me needs a whole day out and a lot of driving, plus an important amount of physical effort. The closer summits around my QTH are mostly 2 and 4 pointers.

I’ll let you know if I have success with my son on building and testing some equipment for SOTA.
73/88,

Guru

1 Like