Have you ever activated W1/NL-011

Perhaps a little off topic. I made an attempt to activate Prospect Mountain (W1/NL-011) yesterday only to be greeted by a large No Trespassing Sign. This summit has been activated in past years. How did you get access?

1 Like

How rude! I hope you find a solution.

Cheers,

Fraser

1 Like

Hi Fraser,
Not yet, still a work in progress!!
Sad thing is the sign says go hike Mt Major. That summit is one of the most hiked mountains in South Eastern NH. Unfortunately, not enough prominence to quality for SOTA.
73, fred

1 Like

From the picture, it appears to be a new sign. We find some summits in W4C have been posted after numerous activations. When contacting the property owners we often find it’s vandals who have trashed the place thereby ruining it for everyone. Sad but that’s the idiots we’re living with these days. Dean ~ K2JB

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Fred, but thanks for posting a note on the summit page. It is probably even more important posting about summit access issues than general notes on getting to a summit. It saves other activators time, frustration and the possibility of an uncomortable interaction with a land owner. I agree with Dean that is looks like a recent sign. Land access is always a moving target in the U.S. - rarely does it benefit the public and it is much more likely to restrict access. The parcel data layer in CalTopo does not list the owners name in that state, but none of the adjoing parcels are public land either.

You can probably look up the owner through the county GIS/tax assessor’s office and they may give you permission to hike their land (or maybe not :frowning: ). Posting of the land may be a way of keeping the riffraff off their land. You should always check the Association Refererence Manual and/or state laws for the law of the land on property trespass. They tend to vary state by state in allowed usage of property and means of posting property.

73, pat - ki4svm

2 Likes

Hi Pat,
New Hampshire is a very unique place. Typically if a parcel is not posted you can access the property. It’s always nice to ask permission but generally speaking it isn’t against the law to hunt, fish or even activate a summit unless the property is legally posted.
In this case there’s a communication facility on the summit. It’s managed by American Tower but when I called the phone number on the sign I was unable to get past the automated response.
As I mentioned, there are few guys in the area who have activated the summit in the past. If I get a chance I’ll ask how they got in.
This one just may not be worth the effort.
73, fred

There hasn’t been any posted signs coming in from Chamberlain Rd. but adjacent landowner said the owner of the land where the towers are has posted it in places as you have found. Many tower sights welcome hikers but apparently not this one.

1 Like

Hi Bob,
I hope your trip went well. I haven’t approached the summit from Chamberlain Rd. It may be worth a look. There’s a similar situation on Catamount but I was able to find a spot just below the posted land when I activated that one.
I see you’ve activated Prospect Mountain several times. If you get a chance let me know if the signs are new. They appear to be.
73, fred

I recommend not hiking around that area now.

Clue: No bullet holes? :smiling_imp:

2 Likes