Happy Birthday SOTA

I have noticed today that it is 9 years ago today since SOTA started, so a Happy 9th Birthday to SOTA.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP: A Happy Birthday SOTA from G4SXR as well :slight_smile:

In reply to M3EYP:
Wow! 9 years already, where has the time gone. Happy birthday SOTA!
Roger MW0IDX

In reply to M3EYP:

I’m still trying to work out why it took me 4 years to get started!

Are we having a big QSO party next year?

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Sounds like a good idea to me, Gerald!

I started as soon as I heard an activation, and realised that I had been waiting for something like this for 20-odd years!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Well I remember Richard G3CWI excitedly extolling the virtues of the scheme when we met up at VHF NFD in Norfolk, probably in 2002. For some strange reason my ears couldn’t have been working properly at the time and it took another concerted effort on his part to get me into activating by setting up a SOTA activity day for the De Montfort Uni ARS members. The rest is history. One summit and I was hooked!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M3EYP:

Happy Birthday SOTA.

No cake I guess, but perhaps a slice of ‘Sugar Loaf’ instead?!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

SOTA cake will be served at the SOTA stand at the Norbreck Rally, 10th April, courtesy of Audrey and Rob G4RQJ.

Tom M1EYP

A QSO party does a sound good for next years SOTA birthday as it will be 10 years since SOTA started, me and Edward M6NSR were discussing if something is going to happen next year with it being SOTA’s 10th birthday.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Previous rumours of the impending demise of SOTA seem to have been a little premature!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M3EYP:

What is a “qso party”?

In reply to G1INK:

Basically, QP are contests, according to my understanding of US State QSO parties.

73 Norby

The only “QSO Party” (called by that name by the organiser) I’ve come across so far was, near enough, a one-off Net for like-minded folk, with the emphasis on rag-chew, and absolutely no element of competition whatsoever…

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:

From experience QSO parties are contests by another name. That let’s people hold contests on 30/17/12m without falling foul of IARU recommendations :slight_smile:

ISW and SOTA VHF fun day are ‘sort-of’ QSO parties. But without the competition!

Andy
MM0FMF/BFL (back from lunch!)

In reply to LX1NO:

Basically, QP are contests, according to my understanding of US State
QSO parties.

Ah we do things differently in the UK Norby - QSO parties are when we take lots of beer and food up summits (and maybe a few steaks and a disposable barbecue) and sit around having S2S contacts while consuming too many calories and getting blind drunk! In the worst cases, the descent from the summit can take longer than the ascent. Always best to arrange for the XYL to provide the transport! :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I’ll drink to that!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Now Gerald’s idea does sound infinitely better than using the WARC bands for a purpose they were most certainly not intended for :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G4OIG:
Though not to the day or month for that matter, ISW (International SOTA Weekend) could also be a celebration of SOTA’s birthday? Why not every year from now on? This could save time and energy on all the PR stuff etc, Lets have a party :wink:

Sean M0GIA