Happy 21st Birthday SOTA

I cannot believe that it is already 21 years to the day that SOTA started and therefore is now key of the door.

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association Manager

28 Likes

10 Likes

Ill never forget the SOTA Birthdays.

52 today. :grin:

16 Likes

Happy 21st SOTA and Happy 52nd Fraser.

7 Likes

So it is 21 years that this virus has been spreading. How many people have been affected by this world-wide pandemic so far? and have we any manageable statistics to show the countries and and number of activators? and an estimate of the percentage of the population affected!!! Obviously it is more infectious in some countries than others (helps if you’ve got some hill, maps and an association - and also a climate which encourages outdoor activity…)
Many congrats - and well done for spotting it Jimmy. 73 Viki

8 Likes

Happy Birthday SOTA and thanks for such a great pass time for ham radio.
We have enjoyed 10 years of SOTA in VK5 so far and I am looking forward to starting my season 2023 properly now summer wx has gone.
Regards all thanks.
Ian vk5cz …

5 Likes

Somewhat disturbingly, on your birthday next year (2024) Jimmy @M0HGY - you will be the age I was when I did my first SOTA activation… :confused:

An amusing tale for everyone else on here: we were having dinner as a family one evening last week, and having a conversation, as you do. Jimmy began one sentence with the phrase “Back in my day…” - I cannot begin to explain how old I felt at that moment…

17 Likes

Happy Birthday, SOTA and Many Happy Returns. Thank You to the Management Team for all your splendid work. Thank You, also to the Activators without you there would be no SOTA. As a Chaser I really appreciate all that you do. Please continue with these Splendid Efforts. Best Wishes to You All. 73 de Paul M0CQE.

5 Likes

Ooooffftt, 52 or 21 :thinking: Happy birthday SOTA and happy birthday buddy

4 Likes

And thank you to the chasers. Without you, life as an activator would be a bit lonely.

9 Likes

Without chasers, there would still be SOTA, because there would still be s2s. Statistically, we treat s2s as two hams chasing each other. Admittedly, the program would be far smaller if it was s2s only.

Elliott, K6EL
Sota MT

4 Likes

Happy 21st Birthday SOTA. Many thanks for encouraging me to keep me fit. Without you, I probably wouldn’t be here today. :grinning:

9 Likes

I can join in on that. Through SOTA I have also discovered and explored many new areas. Therefore, thanks to the MT and the great community that this programme exists :mountain_snow: :clap: :beers:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

8 Likes

Thank You Richard for your reply. Most welcome, as I know all about being lonely. Sorry I could not make the contact with you yesterday, as you activated G/SP-007. Many thanks to you for trying to receive my call sign. 5 watts from my Yaesu FT60 was just not enough to make it from my QTH in Oldham. 73 de Paul M0CQE.

3 Likes

Thanks for noting the occasion Jimmy.

SOTA has been a very positive thing for me too. I’m very grateful to those who conceived and implemented it, those who manage and maintain it, and all fellow activators and chasers. Happy Birthday :sunny:
Adrian
G4AZS

4 Likes

Happy 21st! Time flies when you’re having fun.
A good idea from the get-go, and a wonderful way to help stay in some sort of shape.
Big thanks to the MT!
Ken

4 Likes

Happy Birthday SOTA! Thanks to everyone involved in keeping it running and the whole community for making it so great!

I managed to get out for a post-work SOTA Birthday activation. Black Down G/SE-003. An operating position sat on a comfy log, with a fabulous sun set view and a run of 5 US DX stations on 10M to kick the log off meant it felt like my Birthday, never mind SOTA’s!

8 Likes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOTA!

If it weren’t for SOTA I would be homeless in Ham Radio, as nothing else in the hobby motivates me to get on the air much these days.

The sun, the fresh air, the comradery, the exercise, seeing and exploring the great outdoors, and the QRP challenge…now that is a hobby!

Looking forward to more SOTA adventures soon.

Pete

10 Likes

Wow! Now legal to drink in USA? How do ya celebrate? Cheers! :tropical_drink:

Amy
AG7GP

Btw, I’ve done 3 presentations to 3 different ARC’s on SOTA so far this year in Oregon. People need to know what they are missing!

2 Likes

Reminds me of one of several clubs where K6DGW, assisted by me, gave a SOTA presentation. In the last one, no one seemed interested, especially the president of that DX club. Surprise… a month later he showed up alone on a rare summit with a little radio powered by the battery he uninstalled from his truck at the trailhead. You never know…I feel it’s important to invite the club members at these presentations to tag along on an activation.

Elliott, K6EL

3 Likes