Ham Radio Friedrichshafen SOTA Session

This is what Jürg wrote further up the thread:

I took the Friday off from my part-time job to travel down to Friedrichshafen, with the express aim of attending the first ever SOTA meeting/session to be held there. I have to say that a big round of thanks and applause should go to HB9SOTA for making the booking arrangements to have a room for SOTA - this can’t have been an easy task!

The weather was perfect on this first day, the halls at the exhibition centre were pretty full, and a number of SOTA participants met as usual at noon at the QSL wall. I met several SOTA participants with whom I had previously only made contact via email, or the odd SOTA QSO on VHF, so it was good to “put a face to the callsign”. We all looked forward to the SOTA session at 2pm, and wandered off to do our own things until then.

Even a half-hour before the appointed hour and place, people began to take their seats and as the programme started, people were sitting on the tables arranged round the walls, so the room was quite packed by then.

Presentations were given by several HB9’s, and also by Andy MM0FMF, who talked briefly about some new Associations being planned, but mostly fielded questions from the audience. The rest of the session was taken up by reviews and presentations on software or products of interest to SOTA participants: these are mentioned at the top of this Reflector topic, so I won’t repeat them. I personally would have liked to have heard more from Andy on the new Associations and SOTA organisation, but time was limited.

All in all, an interesting and useful introduction to some aspects of SOTA organisation and operation in the field. I look forward to next years’ session, and meeting more SOTAneers in person.

Rob

2 Likes

Hi Christophe,

Here’s a couple of the handouts from the session. I found the cross-platform activators logging program of interest as it has a very nice feature - it can display the name of the station operator you are working - but now I need to carry a computer to run the program on the summit.

I would also like to say a big thanks to the HB SOTA group for arranging the session and I believe they said, they would try to get a slot on Saturday next year to help those who have to work on Friday.
I “think” I also saw a stand in the main hall with Swiss SOTA displayed on it (perhaps part of the national association or the Swiss DX group stand?).

73 Ed.

1 Like

Thank you Rob and Ed.

Very interesting.

Is there something available about the antennas comparison talk ?

Great session guys, I’d definetely want to see another one next year, I’m sure now that you’ve broken the ice some more guys will think about preparing presentations.

I remember there was a slide at some point with a map with SOTA summits where you could check the ones you’ve already activated, can anyone tell me if that was Basecamp or another software / online platform ? I realised afterwards that it would be really useful.

Cheers,
Razvan YO9IRF

Finally back home… Many thanks to Andy, Paul, Jurg & all the Swiss SOTA team for having this excellent meeting. I wish it could be possible every year from now on. We deserve to have such a great occasion to share our SOTA experiencies, taking count that we are together in the same time & place @ Friedrichshafen.

Razvan: yes, it was BaseCamp - just look to the list made by Paul on the first post here.

Dear SOTA Friends
Here you can find the presentations of the Ham Radio in Friedrichshafen 2015.

http://hb9sota.ch/hb9sota-hamradio/

Thank you for joining the meeting es 73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

1 Like

Thats all I have but Jörg has just posted a link to the presentations.

Ed.