GW0DSP News is Moving

It is my intention to publish the News on an alternative website to Sotawatch2, where the sota participants can enjoy the news and voice their opinions in a friendly atmosphere, without fear of reprimand. Of course some standards must be observed, but in general, you will have a voice.

Never lose sight of the fact that the News is for the Sota participants. You are encouraged to continue sending your news items to me as normal.

Details of the new site will be revealed in the very near future and I hope we can count on your continued support.

The reason for my changing to the new website is because I have just received an email from Jon GM4ZFZ accusing me of denigrating MT due to a recent post on the reflector about the sota is over thread.
I find the tone of Jon’s email entirely unacceptable and I have had enough!! The email illustrates clearly how little respect the MT members have for SOTA participants. Apparently we are not allowed to think for ourselves or have an opinion without reprimand from MT. I can’t do the news on a “do as we say or else basis”.

I apologise most profusely to Roy G4SSH for finding out this way, I have tried to contact you Roy but you must be out. I thank you for your fabulous support Roy.

Details of the new website will follow here shortly, possibly in a few days, or by email if I get the HJD treatment.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Shame Mike, but I back you 100%, I have said many times in the past that Mick (HJD) and I were the first to receive this vitrious and sometimes totally ignorant treatment from the MT way back in the day some 3 years ago and I thought sooner or later everyone would realise how bad they can be,its taken a while !! Now I know that one of the original MT has left and is distancing himself from the MT somewhat, and in the past I have retalliated towards this individual, justly or unjustly sometimes (human nature) but I also laid blame at his feet on many occasion, but it seems I was wrong, and for that I sincerely apologise, however, the remaining MT consists of two original members one of which I deem a reasonable chap the other is a trainee communist and has little or no regard for anyone in the SOTA program. I have emails from this individual that would make your hair fall out !! The new MT is no better because they have all been trained by the original master !!!

Having said all that, I would be saddened to see the demise of SOTA as it is generally a good program, but it needs to be run by genuine people and not the JUNTA that presides today.

If this post is deemed not acceptable then I would like to hear or read an acceptable reason why and not just the usual, “because we say so”. The next actions of the MT will be deciding for many folk, and I urge them to come down off their high horses and speak to the most important people in SOTA, the participants !!, not only with a little respect, but with the thought that they (participants) are the ones that make this scheme work and not the other way round !!!

Just out of interest - who are the MT ? and who were the original team ?

I’m sure I could get this info from the web but I’m just feeling lazy tonight.

Could well be out in the hills this weekend with a new 4 metre rig - watch this space !.

Keith .

In reply to G8HXE:

No keith, you can’t get it from the website, it is out of date.

I think the current MT consists of Jon GM4ZfZ, Gary G0HJQ, Les G3VQO, Tom M1EYP, Roger MW0IDX and Brian G8ADD. John G3WGV has resigned, but is available to MT when required, I stand corrected if I’m wrong.

The original MT also included Richard G3CWI who co-founded sota with John G3WGV and was replaced by Les G3VQO on his resignation. Brian G8ADD replaced John G3WGV.

hope that answers your question.

73 Mike

Mostly correct.

John G3WGV has “stepped back” rather than “resigned”, and appointed in the non-executive role of President.

The original MT was G3CWI, G3WGV, G0HJQ and Mathew M5EVT. I joined later, as did Roger MW0IDX and Jon GM4ZFZ.

Jon is currently conducting a major overhaul of the SOTA website, so please bear with us with regarding to that. I am confident everyone will be impressed when it is up and running.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

John has served on the SOTA Management Team
throughout the intervening years but now wishes to stand down from
executive duties.

The role of President is non executive and as such John will no longer
be involved in the day to day running of the programme.

73 de Les, G3VQO
obo SOTA Management Team

That sounded like a resignation to me Tom, I must have read into it wrong.

As for the shiny new website, I think that’s the last thing on everyone’s mind right now Tom and shouldn’t really be a MT priority at the moment.

73 Mike

I would like to say a quick thank you to all of you for your supportive emails.
It is very humbling and it means a lot to me that you all agree that there was no denigrating remarks in my posts on that thread.
I look forward to hearing from you on the new website, which is about to launch shortly.

Thanks again.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

As for the shiny new website, I think that’s the last thing on
everyone’s mind right now Tom and shouldn’t really be a MT priority at
the moment.

To be fair Mike you did comment on the out of date website as follows:

No keith, you can’t get it from the website, it is out of date.

So I think it’s only fair that Tom respond and explain that it’s going to be updated. Let’s not be too harsh eh?..

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to GW0DSP:
hi Mike,
thanks for your work on that. i will look forward to see the new site and will take part in . i also haven´t see any negative in your posts till now .

good luck !

vy 73 klaus df2gn

In reply to G0AZS:

That’s not the case Marc.

Tom refers to a totally new website and not merely the update of the website as we know it today.

The website IS out of date anyway, only this morning we had an enquiry on the reflector from ZL about trying to contact MT at the email addresses on the website and the emails were bouncing back.
I replied to the man myself as nobody else seemed to have bothered.
Have a look who the MT are on the website.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Tom refers to a totally new website and not merely the update of the
website as we know it today.
Mike

In the world of web developers “new website” and “updated website” are the same thing… they’re both work.

Anyway let’s drop it. I was just trying to ensure we don’t get carried away. I’m glad I’ve got a couple of kits to build in my spare time… at least that will be fun Ham Radio again. :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

We are not all web developers, so don’t always read into things.

Good luck with the kit, sounds interesting.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

You go for it Mike… and the best of luck.

In reply to 2E0KPO:

Thanks Steve…no luck required…I’m a pro:-)

73 Mike