GW/SW-038 Eastern route through open access land to AZ with plenty of parking

This is the route climbers have used for decades to access the wonderful quarried sandstone crag of Dyffryn Woods. I realise there are lots of routes for this summit now, but IMHO this has parking, a nice short walk through a lovely wood with wildlife, open access, and retains the good views the western approach offers.

Parking for 5 or so cars is free at the bottom of the Woodland Trust land SS 7373 9992. If travelling from Longford Road/Neath Abbey you’ll pass the Glyn Clydach which has a cafe/restaurant. Follow the road past St. Matthews Church then careful negotiate a 90deg left to a small lane, parking on right in a fenced area off the lane.

The walk starts 50m to the right of the car park, up a wide track “ride”, a very pleasant gentle rise up through a mixed species wood.

After winding your way to the top of the track past and around Dyffryn Farm (all open access) the track switches back uphill past the quarry.

Entertain yourselves with the route names - see the SWCW wiki entry and observe the El Chorro rail clamps kept for posterity next to more modern bolt and hangers on “Rotters Club” and “Bad Bad Boy”.

Keep going (or bring a partner and a rope for a spot of sport!) past the quarry then hook left on the footpath to contour towards the sea. Excellent views of Afon Nedd Estuary and Baglan Bay come into sight. Side note, plenty of other sport crags within spitting distance of this area, see wiki entry above.

Keeping to the footpath you are already in the AZ, but I continued on towards the Carreg Bica standing stone, an ancient meynhirion thought to be a boundary stone, with mythic movement abilities. Geograph

I setup my station just to the right of the photo below keeping close to the path as this part is not open access. 2m was not great, just one local, there was a contest on 2m and 40m, so I went straight to 20m and quickly made s2s into Italy, followed by a few more European stations, another s2s in Spain, and a final s2s with Gerald (MW0WML) on DM/BW-041 which I was most pleased with!

The only slight downside was the chap 150 yards downhill from me who was practicing his .22 rifle marksmanship into a target on the same dry wall that I was next to. I don’t think I was in any real danger, but it was slightly offputting hearing a crack and whistle every so often..

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing this route Ed, I look forward to trying it out. I enjoy routes that explore a hill and it’s surrounding and think it’s a great way to activate the South Wales summits.

4 Likes

Did you put it on Sotamaps/sotl.as ?

Have done. :+1:

1 Like

Reading your very interesting report about this route, I just had to look at my records and see where Paul G4MD and myself accessed this summit back in April 2008. I find we parked at SS725002 just half a kilometre from the summit. I recall the rock formation by the track and the summit area from your photographs.

It was quite a fun day until we got to the parking spot for our 4th summit of the day - Mynydd Dinas GWSW-040 - where the local farmer told us the path had been blocked. A quick rethink and a longer walk got us to the summit and on air just 10 minutes later than planned. A day trip of 358 miles spanning between 02:30z and 22.04z… ah, those were the days. :joy:

73 and many thanks for the memory jog

Gerald

3 Likes

You and Paul @G4MD may wish to do another such day trip for all time sack as I see you both haven’t activated Mynydd y Grug GW/SW-042 yet to re-complete the GW Association.

Jimmy M0HGY

3 Likes

Yes Jimmy, it is top of our list, but for one reason or another we are both confined to barracks at the moment. The re-completion of Wales will definitely figure in our plans as soon as we are able to get out onto the hills together. I certainly won’t be activating it until Paul is able to accompany me.

73, Gerald

6 Likes