GW SOTA Trip

I was thinking about a SOTA 3 peaks the other day, as well as the traditional 24 hour normal version we did a 48 hour flavour once, this was much more civilised.

I think the key thing about a group is being able to sleep and travel at the same time i.e. swapping drivers

BTW Dave just realised why M6RUG seemed a familiar call today :slight_smile: seeing it on reflector.

Paul.

As it took all my energy to get Worcester Beacon a couple of years ago, I I have great admiration for anyone who manages more than one summit in a day - let alone 5 or even one of the 3 peaks!.

I know people who have done the 3 peaks challenge and know how much planning and effort is required.

Just thought I may have sown a seed or two :wink:

Dave
(M6RUG)

From what I understand, there is very little time from getting to the top of a peak before you have to come back down again so I doubt if was possible to spend time setting up and activating, taking everything down and off to the next. 48 hours, as you say, would be more civilized.

Yes nice to work you on NW-043 today Paul. I can normally be found on the other end of a QSO in GW/NW land :wink:

Proving to be quite difficult on HF this past few days though!

Dave
(M6RUG)

You only need one major accident on the M6 and it will all be for nothing :confused:

Set your own goals, that is what SOTA is all about. You never need to compare yourself to others here.

Jonathan

1 Like

The chances of me getting up a summit in the next decade are nill :frowning:

I am just a chaser

Dave
(M6RUG)

I am sorry to read that Dave.

To encourage you, there has been successful activation’s by disabled operators in the past, some summits you can actually get very close to via car. The Great Orme GW/NW-070 is an example of such in my part of the world.

Chasers are never “just”. You are (and others) are just as important as to the program as the activators. It makes me smile when I hear a new voice on air, well done - keep it up !

Thanks for the contact on 047 yesterday,

Jonathan

1 Like

My apology to Tom for moving away from the original thread. I will start a new thread on accessible summits

Always happy to chase you Jonathan :wink:

Dave
(M6RUG)

1 Like

To do the “SOTA 3000’s” in North Wales you don’t have to go over Crib Goch. There is another way from Nant Peris to Snowdon that goes up from by Ynys Etws to near Clogwyn Station. It’s steep but perfectly “walkable”. To be fair I usually do that in reverse, descending from Snowdon.

Hi Dave,
Not sure if you are referring to 3 specific peaks in the Peak District, but if more general, the best I have done so far is 5 peaks in a day:

There are two more in the area that I could also fit in perhaps to make it 7 summits in a day, but I think I should wait for summer for that!

I believe some of the Australian crew have managed 10 summits in a day as part of a VERY long hike (camping out at the start and finish of the 10).

73 Ed.

The three peaks usually refer to Scafell Pike*, Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) and of course Ben Nevis.

Hence the three peaks challenge.

1 Like

Hi Ed

I admire anyone who does 1 let alone 5 in one day but I regularly worked people who do it.

The “3 peaks challenge” (nothing to actually do with SOTA) is to climb the highest peak in England, Scotland and wales in a 24 hour period. It is a very challenging exercise although many do it every year.

I am not aware of anyone doing the challenge and activating for SOTA purposes at the same time.

Dave
(M6RUG)

There is another well-known “3 Peaks Challenge” - and that is the Yorkshire 3 Peaks of Ingleborough G/NP-005, Pen-y-ghent G/NP-010 and Whernside G/NP-004. The cafe in Horton-in-Ribblesdale checks you out in the morning, then checks you back in again when you’ve finished and adds you to the honour roll. I know that John G4YSS once did these as a single walk in one day - including SOTA activations on each - possibly more than once.

Jimmy and I did them a few years ago - but drove between the parking spots - and did it over two days - so it probably didn’t count :wink:

I dislike the whole concept of the better known 3 Peaks Challenge of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon, as it demands the participants to maintain a sufficiently high average speed on the roads between the walks - something which I think is somewhere on the continuum between “irresponsible” and “stupid”. Adding activations into the mix as well while retaining the 24 hour limit leaves me cold.

There is another version as well. This uses yachts as the transport between the peaks; so combining the skills of sailing and running. It starts at Barmouth and is obviously a team event rather than an individual challenge. It is run as a race so attempting a SOTA qualification on each summit would tend to render the team uncompetitive!

1 Like

Hi Gerald, when chatting about this with Shirley years ago, I mentioned that I might join in, but miss out Crib Goch. Shirley replied that my idea was not possible as Crib Goch summit itself was one of the Welsh 3000s.

I’ve done it several times with the radio. I lead a group over the Three Peaks of Yorkshire each year, raising money for charity along the way. 4th of June this year hopefully.

Agreed! It also brings all sorts of other environmental challenges too. Very often Scafell Pike is done in the dark and it causes a real nuisance to the residents in the Wasdale area with minibuses and people making noise at night. I have done it a while back, but never again.

Ah yes if you want to do the 14 or 15 “Welsh 3000’s” then Crib Goch is definitely in.

I am sorry I was referring to the the idea of the “Welsh 3000 SOTA” summits, which is "just"
Carnedd Llewelyn
Tryfan
Glyder Fawr
Y Garn
Elidir Fawr
Snowdon

My favourite three peaks challenge is Cloud, Gun and Shining Tor. Makes a nice day out. Could be done on foot in a day too.

1 Like

I’m planning on doing it on foot as a circular walk from my home QTH in the summer. Not in a day though - will take my backpacking tent.

1 Like

Going back to the original subject, couldn’t resist pointing out that you missed by activation of 11/9/10. Two successes doesn’t tell the full story in that I’ve failed this set of four several times.
My chosen route is to start from the youth hostel at Idwal (fine place to stay, say hello to Saskia and Jeroen if you go there, they think I’m the only person who does SOTA). Go north along the old A5 and pick up the path round the back of the white cottage which takes you up the mushroom garden (haven’t seen any mushrooms there). This brings you out between Y Garn and Elidir Fawr. I do Elidir Fawr first then Y Garn. I did once try Y Garn first then contouring around it on the wayback but the boulder field on Y Garn is quite unpleasant. After Y Garn comes the slog up Glyder Fawr. You now have a good go/no-go decision point. I have turned back from here when there clearly wasn’t time for Tryfan and returned down the Devils Kitchen to my start point. If continuing, then comes the bit I always struggle with, Castell Y Gwynt. The best way is to take it head-on and not be tempted to take what looks like a good path but takes you too low. I’ve descended down the gully to Tryfan or taken the long route around the miner’s track. Getting to the col at the base of the south peak gives another go/no-go point. It’s a long day! 34 points well earned. I doubt if it could be done in the winter for the bonus, at least not by me. I’ll be in north Wales at the end of May so might have another go at it.

Have a safe trip

Mick M0XMC

Hi,

Alerts are now posted for this GW SOTA trip coming up and our summits plan are also below as well. These are all subject to change. Times are in UTC.

Sunday 7th August
Carnedd Llewelyn GW/NW-002 13:00

Monday 8th August
Tryfan GW/NW-006 08:00
Glyder Fawr GW/NW-003 10:30
Y Garn GW/NW-004 13:00
Elidir Fawr GW/NW-005 15:30

Tuesday 9th August
Moelwyn Mawr GW/NW-016 10:00
Mynydd Mawr GW/NW-026 14:30
Mynydd Bodafon GW/NW-071 19:00

Wednesday 10th August