GW NW008, NW001 and NW019

Just a brief report and thank you to all with whom I had a QSO on Sunday. I had planned to activate these summits on Thursday, but the forecast of high winds put me off so I did Pen y Fan and Fan Fawr instead. I persuaded my non-SOTA brother, Dei, to come with me and we set off from Nant Gwynant up the Watkin path at a civilised 09:30. First QSO was with Mike, G4BLH at 11:20 from Y Lliwedd using the VX7R handie into the dipole bit of the sota beam -the pole ably supported by my brother. The QSO rate was good (9 QSOs - thanks to all), and the upslope accelerated wind somewhat keen so we packed up at 11:31 but not before some of Dei’s Eryri Harrier fell running friends had stopped by to say hello and to accuse of us madness !

A smooth passage across Bwlch y Saethau and up saw us on the summit of Snowdon for a first QSO there at 12:57 with Aled MW3DLA/p - appropriately in Welsh. After a total of 13 QSOs, again on fm, we were fairly cold so after sticking our spikes on our boots we headed down towards Bwlch Main. Although they were not absolutely needed on the thin layer of hard frozen snow lying on the top few hundred metres of the hill, we reckoned we did a good sales pitch for spikes as we strolled past people slithering and dithering on the path.

Crossing Bwlch Cwm Lan we headed up Yr Aran, firing up using the FT817, 30W PA, all the elements of my rather battered Sota beam and the full height of the poles. The steel fence post held my pole as if designed for the purpose. Once more G4BLH was my first contact at 14:59 and Mike kindly spotted me again. Four further fm QSOs followed, rounded of by one quick S2S QSO with 2E0KPO who was on SP001 using SSB. Dei had enjoyed the view (the only consistent summit view of the day) and the last of his food. We headed off down the Easterly ridge towards Clogwyn Brith and then cut down to rejoin the Watkin path at Plas Cwm Llan. Half past four saw us at Pete’s Eats for a couple of pints of tea and a Monster omlette (this was due to a mix up in the order as in my view no one in their right minds would order anything with the word ‘monster’ in it at Pete’s Eats as the portions are to say the least generous anyway). An excellent end to a fantastic day in the hills. Thank you SOTA, and thanks to Dei and all the people who kindly came back to my calls.

73s Neil (MW0ECX)