GW/NW-062 Today

No doubt about it, I am definitely being spoiled by Alan the farmer on “MY” summit. I payed Alan and his wife a visit to drop in a large tin of gift wrapped biscuits for their Christmas pressy prior to my activation.
Alan told me that he intends to put a special post in on his land, solely for me to bungee my fishing pole to, he even asked me where I would like it to be placed. No sordid comments please.

The activation was to be just a quickie on 144-SSB because of the terrible wx conditions on the summit. I have never experienced both clag and 20 mph Easterly winds at the same time before, I didn’t even know that the two could exist at the same time.

The temperature was a miserable -2c but the approx 20 mph Easterly wind added a vicious wind chill factor and my mind was full of admiration for the earlier activators today on their 2 and 8 point summits. I also have to admit that I underestimated the wx and was cold from the waist down. I won’t allow myself that silly mistake again, especially when we visit Scotland in late January/early February.

As I said earlier, it was to be a quicky activation and then home, so just 10 stations worked using the SB3 and FT-857/7ah SLAB, with 25 watts. The best DX was into Cheltenham and North Devon.

Many thanks to all stations worked and to John GW4BVE for the spot.
Stations worked were…

GW4BVE, G0RQL, G0AOD, G0TRB, M0DFA, M3PXW, G0LGS, M0COP, G8ADD, 2E0HJD.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Mike, when the post goes in, tell us where it is, there will be people wanting to help bump up the activation count!

I think there is only one weather condition worse than that you encountered, and that is driving sleet!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GW0DSP:
Alan told me that he intends to put a special post in,

nice xmas present from the farmer, should have asked him for a turkey aswell,
please give us the co-ordanations for the post when it is in place, as it would be ideal for the drive-by summit and a quick one pointer on our way from Wales in the festive season,
yes would be nice for everyone else to use the post aswell, or will it have the name of gw0dsp on it and the words (please keep off ) it’s Mine ? Hope you will be able to do the summits in scotland next year, as looking on the map not many summits are drive-bys, would need a stairlift, or are Mick and Steve carrying you up, does that mean you are doing the gaingorms, up the lift,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to G8ADD:

I learned a few new things today Brian, mainly to NEVER take mother nature for granted or she will kick your backside for you when you least expect it.

As for the post, unfortunately it will be on private land, but I am working on Alan to allow me to take one activator on there with me if they are travelling a long distance. He allowed inky and Mick on so it’s looking good.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
My early years were a very steep learning curve, I think I was lucky to get out of one or two adventures with a whole skin, but I am still learning now!

Why not suggest to your friendly farmer that he puts a “Trust the Activator” coin box on the post, £1 a go, I would pay! Then again, I have a lot of respect for farmers and they do have a bit of a rough deal today, yet the lower hills look the way they do because of the stewardship of the farmers (I’m afraid its us walkers responsible for the mess on some summits, I usually come down with a carrier bag full of litter!)

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GW0DSP:
I don’t do “drive-byes” actually, just drive nears. What was that gargantuan summit you did, oh I remember now TW-004, Hmmmmmmm a vast climb of 1 step, hi.

well its only like doing NP-025 4 steps activate, NW-062 4 steps activate, NW-70 a few more steps and activate,

Well as for drive-bys or drive-nears that’s up to the MT they made the rules, and not us.

yes what a nasty summit (TW-004) was. but when you done it you done it, won’t be running back to keep doing it as a drive-by, always nice to walk to the top of summits, 1 for the walk, 2 for fresh air, 3 lovely views, 4 peace and quite. best off all I always visit the trigpoint, take a photo or 2 for my collection, As for NW-062 and mr Alan the farmer, well we can always keep going that little bit further up to the trigpoint, I’m like other activators, love going to the top to see the lovely views, as for being under clag been their and worn the t-shirt, Hope when you do the summits in Scotland you will be taking your oxegyen with you, can get very high up the mountains, or will we be sending the Mountain-Search-Rescue team out hi hi, will you also be taking your ski’s so you can get down quicker, and get two summits a day in, I wonder if you doing the one pointers and Mick and Steve will be doing 10 pointers, be ok for s2s, I quess.

anyway must get back to work,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

“well its only like doing NP-025 4 steps activate”

Must be 4 steps from a helicopter. It takes me the best part of an hours walk from parking in Thorpe. It could be quicker from Cracoe but I`ve not tried it.
Steve G1INK.

In reply to M0SGB:
Think you mean NP-028 Steve :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G1INK:
Wouldn’t recommend Cracoe route Steve - Steep ascent and even longer Heather Hopping.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Thought as much Roger - ta

In reply to G4OWG:
please my apology for wrong summit it should have been np-028 romalds moor, Steve m0sgb