GW/NW-047 report

I had a day off work today and with the weather looking to stay dry I decided to do a quick activation. So, after dropping my daughters off at school in Denbigh I continued up onto the Denbigh moors to activate GW/NW-047 Mwdwl-eithin.

Not an enjoyable or exciting walk up to the summit but a very nice SOTA friendly summit to operate from.

On the summit it remained dry but was very cold. I set up my 44 foot doublet and K2 and saw that EA6/M0MZM/P was spotted on EA6/IB-002 20m SSB. After working Mark I moved further up the band to work a small pile up. I then tried 60m SSB but only managed two in the log.

Next, I worked a few on 40 SSB before going to 30m CW where I got a S2S with Kurt HB9AFI/P on HB/VS-240 despite the QRM.

By now I was getting quite cold, I only manged two on 2m FM before heading quickly back down to the warmth of my car with 62 in the log.
Many thanks to those that called in.
Roger MW0IDX

9 Likes

Nice sharp photos Roger, thank you. I’ve been to your summit once.

I would just like to declare that I have the same Berghaus rucksack as you, bought secondhand as new then, and I like stll it very much. It is some years old and had done a good job. It came with me on my trip to EA8 this month, as TUI aren’t as mean as Ryanair and don’t change for the larger hand luggage size!

FB on your Elecraft K2 Radio - not many using those for SOTA activating. The company has gone up in my estimation since they sponsored the recent TX5S Clipperton DXPedition to some considerable sum. This was undoubtedly the finest Pacific DXpedition run since Covid broke out which pleased many EU DXers including yours truly.

73 Phil G4OBK

PS Thanks for the contacts this week, very clear sigs from you as a chaser.

1 Like

Thanks Phil, out of a handful of rucksacks that I have, my Berghaus rucksack is my favourite and has been on many SOTA trips in the UK and USA.

My K2 I built when they first came out, and still very nice to use, albeit large compared to other portable radios out there today, but it still fits into the Berghaus rucksack.

Good to catch you on your EA8 trip, hope it went well.
Roger

1 Like